Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Amana versus Bryant

After meeting and getting the inspections and pitch of 5 contractors for my new furnace, I think 2 will do the best job. They both check out with the Better Business Bureau and online reviews also. One is a few hundred more expensive. Now it is down to equipment. The systems I am considering are:

Bryant 925t 2Stage w/variable speed, Bryant humidifier, Bryant EZflex Merv13 Air filter

Amana AMV90905DX 2Stage w/variable speed, AprilAire 2410 (Merv13) Air Filter and 600A humidifier

Any thoughts or opinions?

Looks like pretty comparable stuff. The 925 is brand new, looks like a nice unit from inspection. Haven't seen one in operation yet. The AMV is an older model, replaced with the AMVC communciating meaning it can use the communicating stat for more control over operation. It's like the Bryant Evolution control which gives you the best control over the 925T. How did they determine sizing? Today's 95% variable speed units will want to move a lot of air. Oversized means NOISY and potential overheating.

superdale, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Looks like pretty comparable stuff. The 925 is brand new, looks like a nice unit from inspection. Haven't seen one in operation yet. The AMV is an older model, replaced with the AMVC communciating meaning it can use the communicating stat for more control over operation. It's like the Bryant Evolution control which gives you the best control over the 925T. How did they determine sizing? Today's 95% variable speed units will want to move a lot of air. Oversized means NOISY and potential overheating.
    I'm not to fimiliar with the models given as to how they'll work (or not) with communicating controls, but B.L. brings up a great point, were communicating controls even offered? It would be criminal if they were not mentioned IMHO.

B.L. I would disagree (however) that VS furnaces (or airhandlers, etc.) "what" to move more air. They will be noisy on undersized duct systems.

I do not believe either thermostat is communicating. How important is that?

There was only one contractor who said he was rewiring for a communicating thermostat. He was an American Standard dealer who was in and out on his quote in less than 15 minutes with no conversion of how the house is heating/cooling or hot and cold spots. He also did not look at the existing chimney or duct work. He is not in consideration for the job.

Can't comment on brands, but make sure and get the best warranty from the best contractor. I'd also recommmend that the optional 10 yr. labor warranty be included in either/both quotes.

The 10 yr labor is included in the Amana quote. It is extra on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by spartantuck View Post
    I do not believe either thermostat is communicating. How important is that?

There was only one contractor who said he was rewiring for a communicating thermostat. He was an American Standard dealer who was in and out on his quote in less than 15 minutes with no conversion of how the house is heating/cooling or hot and cold spots. He also did not look at the existing chimney or duct work. He is not in consideration for the job.
    I don't know about all the differant communicating stats on the market (now)but the original communicating control was from Carrier/Bryant.

They measure static pressure, monitor humidity levels, controls the fan speed and will diagnois the system.

You need a special furnace, which is more expensive, is probably why it wasn't mentioned.

It's the customers loss and a lost profit opporunity for the company. Plus you, the customer, would be happier and tell all your friends about it.

Go figuire.

FYI the 2 thermostats quotes are:
    Bryant is: Jackson Systems Comfort System T-21-P
    Amana is: Honeywell 6000

I'd go with the brand including 10 yr. labor. IMO anyway. A contractor who "includes" this option in quote has your best interest in mind!

By want to move more air: a PSC motor facing an undersized duct system will move less air. The VS will "know" it is not moving what is desired and will speed up to try to do so. That can make them noisier than a PSC. Anything starved for airflow can overheat.

I did have a couple of contractors think the duct from them main return duct work to the furnace was too small for a variable speed. One wanted to expand the end portion and one wanted to replace that whole duct with a larger one from them main return air duct work. The second option made more sense to me. Could just expanding the end do the job?

The Jackson stat is 2 stage, the Focus Pro could be either single or 2 stage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast