Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many manifold Gauge sets?

one of my instructors mentioned that he has different sets of gauges for the different refrigerants due to the different oils and not wanting to cross contaminate , which I understand the concept and theory behind that, but I was wondering of there was a different way, such as cleaning my hoses out or just using different hoses for each type of oil, because I just bought a digi-cool and I want to make sure I do things properly in the field , but not have 5 sets of digi-cools

If you're worried about cross contamination, why not use 1 manifold and multiple sets of hoses. Personally I have 4 sets. One with 3ft valved hoses for self contained equiptment, two with 5 or 6ft hoses for rtu's and one for units I know have dye in them. Will be purchasing another set since 410a is becoming more prevalent in commercial equiptment.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

it's hype, if you are getting enough oil in the hoses to be concerned, you've got bigger problems to worry about

4 digital sets & at least that many analog sets; i waste a lot of money on tools
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

two does it for me, but I try to stick with ac stuff, unless it's a big refer or something I'm not crazy about working on little stuff that requires all different coolants.

Two standard plain jane Yellow Jacket gauge manifold sets with 6' heavy duty hoses on both of them. One for R-22, the other one for R-410a. I have 3 sets of Yellow Jacket quickie gauges for R-22, R-410a, and R-134a. I use the quickie gauges for practically everything. I can't even remember the last time I took one of the manifold sets out of the van, even. I am not building spaceships, and I carry a PT chart with me everywhere, so the old-school analog stuff works great for me.
    The key to happiness is lower expectations.

thanks for the input, since i'm just starting out, when i heard that i was like what the heck, I just paid a bit for the digi cools and now i have to get other ones.

[/QUOTE]
    4 digital sets & at least that many analog sets; i waste a lot of money on tools[/QUOTE]

I love to buy tools, so im sure as i get more experience i will have many sets but for now.......

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    Two standard plain jane Yellow Jacket gauge manifold sets with 6' heavy duty hoses on both of them. One for R-22, the other one for R-410a. I have 3 sets of Yellow Jacket quickie gauges for R-22, R-410a, and R-134a. I use the quickie gauges for practically everything. I can't even remember the last time I took one of the manifold sets out of the van, even. I am not building spaceships, and I carry a PT chart with me everywhere, so the old-school analog stuff works great for me.

I am no alone now ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    Glad to see I am not the only one that likes the basic YJ manifold. I have the heavy duty hoses and change the gaskets often.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

I have the Digi-Cools. One set. And one old Yellow Jacket analog for backup.

I got digital gauges when I started seeing how bad the accuracy was on analog sets. We had one tech that hooked up to a 410a system while purging lines. The liquid line was soldered to the suction line in the attic. The hi & lo side gauges read 50 psi different. With charging so critical, I decided to get gauges I could trust.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

I just got my digi-cools in the mail and i have to say they are awesome, now i just have to upgrade my hoses, have some cheap ones off e-bay and are they ever cheap,

Thank you every one for the replies, I'm grateful for all the input from everyone in the field

I keep 3 sets.
    One for checking refrigerant levels for your average deal. standard YJ
    One for pumping down systems. Titan II, with the 3/8 hose.
    One for recovery, or for a system that I know is contaminated.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

I have 3 1 for 410 1 for r22 and 1 I use to recover and pressure test with.i am going to get me a set of fieldpiece digitals when things pick up in the spring

I have 3 sets - Digicool 9000, Fieldpiece SMAN3 (I haven't decided which one I like best) & analog (just as a backup).
    As for oil cross contamination, I agree with 2sac - if there's that much oil in the hoses you've got bigger problems. If I have a contaminated system I try to use no manifold at all. I just run a hose dedicated to that purpose to the recovery machine.
    I also like 2sac's idea about a separate manifold for systems with dye.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast