Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

York YR compressor immersed in water

Need technical support for York YR 300TR water cooled screw compressor.

To attend the sliding valve stuck up issue, the R134a gas was unloaded using compression vacuum pump upto 5"Hg column. Next day morning it was noted that chilled water got mixed in the gas chamber and the motor got immersed in water due to evaporator tube damage and leak. THe chiller plant was running in good condition until the plant was stopped.

a) What are the possible reasons for the evaporator tube damage. The plant is about 5 yrs old and the bottom row extreme tubes in the evaporator section got damaged. While removing the gas, chilled water circulation was done at 15 deg.C, 4kgf pressure.

b) We would like to know if anything went wrong while unloading the gas ? Checked for any water particles in the last cylinder in which the gas was unloaded by transferring to another cylinder and no water was found.

c) What is the best procedure for improving the motor megger value without removing the motor. At present about 1 Megohm is the value. Is it advisable to pass hot dry nitrogen through the gas charging side and what is the recommended max temperature of the gas to minimize the moisture removal time. Whether the bearings need to be replaced ? What is the safest megger value before restarting the compressor motor.

d)Is it necessary to rewind the compressor motor and the bearings just they got immersed in water ? Will the life of motor and the bearings be drastically reduced just in case the plant starts normally ? Will there be any issues such as carbon contamination / accumulation in the gas chamber if the motor is not rewound.

e) Any one can provide the cross-section drawing of the MaxE YR chiller compressor motor ?

f) Is there any York chiller compressor maintenance manual available in soft copy form. Can anyone post it ?

Seeking expert support from the team.

Thanks

Change compressor, plug or replace tubes that are damaged or retube the hx totally, dehydrate, charge with new refrigerant, and start over. Save yourself a lot of heartache in the long run. Might even want to consider retrofitting that compressor to another manufacturer.

Agree with klove, the only qualified repair would be to replace or completely strip / rebuild the compressor if it was full of water. If the frozen tubes are less then 10% of the total just plug them or carry out a professional retubeing. If you consider to replace the compressor by another one you could do that with a YK driveline if the condenser leaving temperature allows that.
    "Quality exists, when the price is long forgotten."

Henry Royce

you need to make a economical evaluation repair vs replace factors:

1.-condition of the tubes in both shell evaporator and condenser ???? perform eddy current test to know where you stand up with shells.
    2.- the cost of the compresor repair
    3.-labor and materiales
    4.- compare with the price of the new unit with better energy performance

if you need manuals send complete model and serial of the units
    regards
    oscar

Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    Change compressor, plug or replace tubes that are damaged or retube the hx totally, dehydrate, charge with new refrigerant, and start over. Save yourself a lot of heartache in the long run. Might even want to consider retrofitting that compressor to another manufacturer.

Why another manufacturer??
    UA Local 141

Quote Originally Posted by berg2666 View Post
    Why another manufacturer??
    From this question, I assume that:

1) You've never had much experience with YR's. OR:

2) You work for jci and you've bought into the thought process that they're better than everyone, in every way.

Back in the days of the famous "J" compressor debacle, I was speaking with someone at York that was very much in the know and I made the statement (kidding) that if engineering ever figured out what was wrong with the J recips, York could lay off 1/3 of their service mechanics 'cause there wouldn't be anything for them to do. He said (not kidding) that we shouldn't worry about that - York was developing a hermetic screw that would create work for everyone. Lo and behold, he was right!

The YR has to be the noisiest, least reliable medium to large tonnage screw compressor that I've ever been around. Couple that with some of the design changes that have been made in the last few years for no other reason than to increase profits, not just on the YR but on a lot of their gear, and it leads to the overall decline of a good product. There will probably be a lot of folks that read this and think that I can't handle change, but what I can't handle is change for the sake of change. Only change it if you can make it better. The YR was a serious step backward in my opinion.

And as one of the "Old guys", I'll go ahead and say that I'm not against new technology as long as it actually works better than old technology. Things got to be old technology because they worked well enough to get old.

YR to Hanbell retrofit. Less money and better compressor.

Softail, have you converted many YRs to Handbell? YS? We have converted YCAS to Handbell and microcontrols with excellent results.
    A LITTLE BIT OF STUPID GOES A LONG WAY!

wow replace compressor huh? guess that would be the best idea, i just ran across a 30hxc that the compressor is and has beenflooded for months.,

come to find out that it has been this way for awhile.,
    i took out the discharge line schrader and out came enough water to fill a 1 gallon pail

both circuits

good stuff

And as one of the "Old guys", I'll go ahead and say that I'm not against new technology as long as it actually works better than old technology. Things got to be old technology because they worked well enough to get old.
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

I would go with klove with one exception. Use a good sized chainfall and pick it up high enough to slide any brand of the same tonnage under it that does not start with YR!!
    I'm good at making things cold...You can ask my first two wives!

Forgot, And find out what shot the last one!
    I'm good at making things cold...You can ask my first two wives!

I am the originator of the thread. Would like to update the status of compressor immersed in water.

Complete overhaul of compressor was done. All bearings were replaced. All O-rings, Seals, Gaskets were changed. Dehydration was done. Affected tubes were plugged. Fresh oil was charged after thorough leak testing of system and triple vacuum (800 microns). Gas was charged and chiller was restored back to operation. 2 Nos of Motor terminals were replaced and motor winding including terminals was found to raise to 50 Meg.Ohm due to continuous heating use space heaters.

My question is a) what is the failure mechanism of the evaporator tube during gas removal. The gas removal job was done through a vendor's subcontractor and it was not sure if the chiller and condensor water lines were kept open for water circulation.
    Will the capacity of the pump that was used for evacuvating the gas matter and what is the minimum vacuum level that we could go for while gas removal and what will happen if one continue to remove gas beyond certain vacuum level. What are the general precautions to be handled during the gas removal time from the chiller.

I am new to this HVAC field and would like to gain some info from the experts here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by balapmurugan View Post
    I am the originator of the thread. Would like to update the status of compressor immersed in water.

Complete overhaul of compressor was done. All bearings were replaced. All O-rings, Seals, Gaskets were changed. Dehydration was done. Affected tubes were plugged. Fresh oil was charged after thorough leak testing of system and triple vacuum (800 microns). Gas was charged and chiller was restored back to operation. 2 Nos of Motor terminals were replaced and motor winding including terminals was found to raise to 50 Meg.Ohm due to continuous heating use space heaters.

My question is a) what is the failure mechanism of the evaporator tube during gas removal. The gas removal job was done through a vendor's subcontractor and it was not sure if the chiller and condensor water lines were kept open for water circulation.
    Will the capacity of the pump that was used for evacuvating the gas matter and what is the minimum vacuum level that we could go for while gas removal and what will happen if one continue to remove gas beyond certain vacuum level. What are the general precautions to be handled during the gas removal time from the chiller.

I am new to this HVAC field and would like to gain some info from the experts here.

Thanks

Here is some good reading , sounds like it is similar to your situation.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....1044291&page=4
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast