Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    While waiting for mommy to get a new smoker, and since we have digressed to a favorite topic:

Illegal to put vanilla extract on bait: ?

Illegal to take carp and suckers: ?

There's a sucker born every minute (or hundreds in the fish world), and here the DNR calls em rough fish. Just don't leave the carcass on the shore.

I stopped fishing the river a long time ago. I fish in better waters now, the fishing is more fun, and the fish are bigger and taste better. But I remember way back when, and I was just so damn hungry sometimes. I didn't know how to land the bigger fish, and I didn't know what to do with them if I managed to get lucky and land one anyway. So I used to cheat and just splash a little vanilla extract in to the mush, and BINGO, you might catch a carp, but you know you can at least get a sucker. Sucker don't taste very good, so you just cut out the part you want, and leave the rest there to die. Don't worry, the scavengers will be by later to fight over the rest, the suckers always get eaten. Hey, you do what you gotta do when you're hungry. But I, for one, am glad I learned how to catch real fish. Big ones. Tastier ones. There's more there to feed the family so I don't have to take as many fish. I guess when you really think about it, none of the very BEST fisherman even fish the carp waters anymore. No interest in the suckers when theres so many big fishies out there. We leave the bottomfeeders for the lowballers.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

-- William Ernest Henley

Regarding calling the fire departmentum, I can't add to the fishing conversation!!)
    I did, and it was one of the most surreal conversations I have ever had. I needed to repeat the situation to the person at least four times, each time he simply could not get past "why are you running a furnace here in April...it's warm out....I haven't used my furnace for over a month...." He was not at all concerned about the co2 (well, you are not home all day, and you are not running it, so what makes you think you could be exposed to it...) didn't care about the doga
    Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, but I get the idea that the FD here, are all those guys who couldn't pass a college logic class (or any college class)...so became firemen instead.
    NOT a blanket statement about fireman....just my experience here.
    I am contacting another company to check out the problem today.

Ive got to know the problem with mommys furnace, its driving me crazy. You almost have to have something like oil to get it to smoke. If you had a duct problem dont think you would get heavy smoke? also would think a rollout switch or pressure switch would pop?

most package units have a frash air intake on the return compartment. if installer didnt alow for enough return air and has the damper open the unit may be sucking in its own exhaust.
    very slim chance of this happening put i have seen it on occasion. i am not up on amma/goodman package units and they may not have this fresh air damper.

i assume this is a side shooter and the bottom opening may have been needed to be closed off. if he didnt do it correctly then the return can be pulling in the exhaust from there. this is infact the exhaust causing the problem.

either way i would think you have been very understanding about this problem. it doesnt matter what brand is installed chances are your problem wont go away if he isnt installing it correctly. it also seems to me he is guessing at what is going on. 2 heat exchangers and 2 units later you still have the same problem.

time to have him remove the unit and find someone new to install one the correct way.

if he cant repair it why have him install another one. what will happen when the new one does the same thing or breaks down and he still has no clue how to repair it

either way hope it works out

Hey, did your tech replace the curb on the roof before he flew the new unit? Im wondering if the type sealant he is using is not compatible: I.E. I know of some roof tar that can smoke at 120 dgrs, also some cork tape can smoke if next to a heat source. Im just confused why the 2nd unit does the same thing as the first. Maybe the duct sealant he has been using went bad before he used it.. you know some sealant can spoil. Just something to think about.

And if thats not it then I would expect an invitation to the barbecue after you pull the dead racoon out of the duct!! Somethin slipped in there while our HERO was talkin to the crane guy.

uh, mommy? I believe earlier you said you were a teacher?

If so, what is wrong with this statement concerning your smoker?

You posted:

"He was not at all concerned about the co2 (well, you are not home all day, and you are not running it, so what makes you think you could be exposed to it..."

If this is what you said, then I can guess why he was not concerned.

The sci guy at school will know the difference.

As for fishing, you sure you don't have some story? You got some time to kill, right?

What kind of detectors do you have in your home?

Mommy,
    I had a similar problem with a Goodman furnace A/C split system 2 yrs ago.
    There was a lot of oil on the A/C evaporator coil that I had to pull out and clean. The white smoke is indicitave of that.It would not burn off the coil. It sounds like the Co. you hired is trying,but befuddled. Give em another chance and bring this notion up.
    Get a CO detector in the meantime if you dont have one, or its over 5 yrs old.
    Good luck,keep us posted.
    never say never

how about calling the city inspector and have them look at it. call the fire dept back and tell them CO not CO2..that's carbon dioxide.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Sorry about your experience with the fire department but, holy cow, you seem to attract goobers in high concentrations. I mean, normally calling the fire department to check out a suspected CO problem is a smart thing to do. A fire department is usually a good choice because they are highly trained and unbiased. I would be very worried about calling out these guys to put out a fire.

On the other hand, I am pleased to hear that you have bounced back from that close encounter with stupidity and called out another company for a second opinion. As I said earlier we will want to know the outcome to this one.

Heck, maybe it is normal for Goodman/Amana package units to smoke for days and weeks after the install. But if it is normal then I can't fathom why anyone would ever install one.

I receieved an email to have a "look see" at this forum since I live in the area.

Originally posted by dougfamous
    In the installers defense (though he doesn't sound too smart if he's on his third swapout of the entire unit), Goodman units do tend to smoke a LOT when first started up.

It's been my observation that (especially after a new HX) the Goodmans smoke more than any other brand. Usually this dissipates within a few minutes, certainly I have never had one make furniture smell or give headaches. It sounds like something is seriously wrong, if I were you I'd start calling the county, the fire dept, whoever until you get it fixed.

I say ditto to doug.

I have NEVER seen a Goodman NOT smoke for 10 min or so on first start up. It is harmless like a vegtable cooking oil or something on the heat exchanger for some sort of protection during storage, etc. Goodman smokes the WORST!

And a properly running furnace would probably not even emit smoke if it had a crack in the heat exchanger. But it would emit CO.

A GOOD CO detector should be in order.

The Residential RTU's like the GoodMana's do not have fresh air intakes. You have to modify them to have one.

Maybe ddog is onto somthing because I can't think of anything in the furnace that would cause smoke for that long. It should burn off and go away. Of course if they are using a new oil on the evap coil, then that could take longer to burn off but no experience there. The latest GoodMana RTU gas pack is pretty new in design and rarely used compared to heat pumps here.

ddog's idea about the sealant is curious as well.

This is a tough one to judge from a keyboard. I doubt it is the unit itself when it's HX has been replaced, then the entire unit. Rheem generally is a BETTER unit than GoodMana by two fold so you may be lucking out here.

There are ZERO enforced codes or permits in the Maricopa County. It makes me sick so I assume that is where mommy lives. (I live in the West Valley By The Way).

I will say that getting a company to replace a unit twice, IS going out of his way. I rarely find any company who will do that around here. You MAY want to get a second opinion if you want, but I kind of feel you should give the guy a chance since he's answering your calls, replacing units, etc. That rates high around here.

Let us know what happens.

[Edited by PaysonHVAC on 04-06-2006 at 09:03 PM]

Well, the last few posts are very interesting. Th installer told me the AC coils (?) have unbelievable amounts of oil on them. That's what he spent lots of time cleaning. Having the gas pressure turned way down, of course doesn't cause smoke, but there is hardly any heat either, so not a good "solution" in my mind.
    I do not think this guy is a jerk at all. He may not know as much as he needs to, but he is trying....and from what he tells me is pretty disgusted at the response he is getting from Goodman.

I ALMOST feel bad that he is having to put in yet another unit, but because it is a diffeent brand, perhaps we won't see the same problem...if we do, well, I feel worse for him than me, really.

I am not in Maricopa county, but in Pima.

And yeah, pretty funny about the CO and Co2 mixup....needless to say, I am not a science teacher (nor do I remember any chemistry from HS!!!!) Serves me right for slamming the FD guys, anyway. (although I did not use any abbreviations in my conversation with them!)
    And not to acuse them of being sexist, (that will come back to bite me, too, I am sure) I think they were more interested in coming over to my house because I am female even though they did not really think I had an issue of any seriousness. Intuitively, it was strange, so I left it alone.

I really do appreciate all the helpful responses. I am told by some HVAC people I know back east, that they love the whole "figuring it out" thing...so I know why this is interesting to you all. I should fly one of those guys out here!!

Mommy

If it IS just oil and you have a package unit then your tech needs to open up side panels and run that unit for an extended period of time, to burn it all off. It is not necessary to expose the house to the shipment oil most of the time...of course your tech probably wasnt expecting this fiasco and its easy to play Monday mornin quarterback here but I do this procedure now on all package unit installs to keep this from happening: Im not saying I know more than your tech and he is an idiot, he obviously is having a remarkable time trying to treat you right and go the extra mile as is probably a reflection of his work ethic he has always demonstraded..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast