Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    In the installers defense (though he doesn't sound too smart if he's on his third swapout of the entire unit), Goodman units do tend to smoke a LOT when first started up.

It's been my observation that (especially after a new HX) the Goodmans smoke more than any other brand. Usually this dissipates within a few minutes, certainly I have never had one make furniture smell or give headaches. It sounds like something is seriously wrong, if I were you I'd start calling the county, the fire dept, whoever until you get it fixed.

Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

mommy

I strongly urge you to get a second opinion on your unit before Monday. Your present contractor has installed 2 complete units? I don’t think he’s going to spend any more time and money on this one job then he has to. In your case 3 times is NOT a charm.

It has also been stated to call your local building department. Please make that call.

if the problem really is as bad as you say it is then don't wait any longer, CALL A REPUTABLE COMPANY AND FIND OUT WHAT IS WRONG!!! This guy you're dealing with should be trying to figure out exactly what the problem is before just replacing an entire unit. It IS normal for some smoking on initial start-up. but that goes away after 1/2 hour or so of operation. He should be able to diagnose a definite problem before recommending solutions. Especially one as drastic as an entire unit change-out. So, either you are a whacko and nothing is wrong (no offense intended)
    or this guy is a hack and is unable to determine the root cause of the problem, which as a pro he should be able to do.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

-- William Ernest Henley

Wink

"Unless you're a whacko..."
    Well I don't think the schoolboard where I have been teaching for the last 20 years should hear about that one, so keep it quiet!
    Seriously, I certainly called in enough people to check this out, as I did question my sanity for a bit, not really believing that this thing could burn off that intitial process oil or whatever it is for so long!

This is what the guy has done so far:
    1)"burn off" what he called an excessive amount of oil, several times (disconnected from coming into the house), but when reconnected...same thing.
    2) replaced the heat exchanger on the first unit....just as much smoking as before.
    3) replaced the entire unit (with essentially same model).
    more smoking...even after burning off the oil again...
    4) "cleaned" the excess oil off the second unit with lots and lots of whatever that coil cleaner chemical you guys use is, AND turned the gas pressure down. No smoke, but hardly any heat...and still lots of smell.
    5) (currently)he was threatened by angry customer, and now intends to replace with another brand (Rheem) instead.

I will take the advice here and call another professional before that day comes, and have them take a look. Funny thing is, of the three companies I had come to give me quotes, they ALL described doing the duct work and returns in the same way. None of the others used the Amana/Goodman, however.
    It's almost as if something is in backwards....but if that's the case and the exhaust is coming into the house, isn't that pretty bad exhaust for a unit to give off in the first place? Or is it just not so noticable outdoors?The Lennox on the other part of the house doesn't spew any smoke, as far as I know.

Anyhow, thanks again, and you can hold your critiques of how I "handled" the situation until it's resolved (I'll let you know).

didn't mean anything by the "whacko" comment. Sometimes we hear from a customer who perceives a problem when in fact none really exists. Sounds like your problem is "real" and not "perceived".

-- William Ernest Henley

Did I read the new Goodman had a cracked heat exchanger?

Also I suspect something other than the RTU's being the problem. I am interested in what will happen once the Rheem is installed.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Whats it smell like?
    Something could be melted on the heat exchanger.
    Years ago I left a pair of snips with plastic handles on the heat exchanger during a changeout.
    Have your contractor check it out.
    Dont be mean tho, that never solves nuthin.
    never say never

Sorry mommy, Im a little slow. Youve obviously checked for that
    never say never

maybe a ductwork problem is causing negative pressure in the house which is in turn causing flue gasses to spill from another fuel burning appliance like your water heater.

turn on the furnace and open a door on your house a crack. do you feel alot of air coming in?

Thanks for the continued input. Didn't mind the whako comment, honestly. I get what you mean, as I have a neighbor who is consistently that exact "whako" customer!!
    (this man would have killed himself by now if she were the customer)...

I am getting a little lost, as most of these things you ask are what the installer should be tossing around with you guys..not me...I mean shouldn't he be getting advice right now? Oh, well, I digress...

I will try to respond:
    Yes, I am also curious about the Rheem. It's pretty clear that if that doesn't work out, the guy is up the creek.
    I think he has looked for stuff in the ductwork or elswhere, as he certainly has been looking around a lot (scratching his head).
    I have no clue about the BTU question (just a homeowner here).
    It smells like burning oil. Plain and simple, and the smoke is white, like oil smoke from a Chevy Vega (for those of you who remember that fine automobile)
    As far as the other appliance issue: The few times we have run the furnace just to check out how it is doing (remember it's spring here in the desert!) no other appliances have been burning at the same time.
    My intuition tells me it IS a ductwork issue, or something about the airflow....although I am not even ON the learning curve here in HVAC land, and frankly, never wanted to be (no offense intended). I just want the thing to work like it's suppose to, and to not have to call people up and get "tough" with them (not something I enjoy).
    I'll let you know of any developments, if for nothing more than entertainment value.

[Edited by mommy on 04-06-2006 at 12:23 AM]

Did you call the fire department yet and get this thing independently tested for CO? Maybe it isn't CO but I have installed a lot (a plethora, an abundance) of furnaces where I operate and I have never had a furnace emit smoke, period. No bad smells, no CO, nothing but the warm air that the manufacturer intended.

Bottom line here:

1) smoke is a product of combustion and, guess what?
    2) so is carbon monoxide.
    3) this installer has already proven to be incompetent and untrustworthy which means...
    4) you cannot and should not trust them to be honest about what is going on, so...
    5) get it checked out by someone else (fire department, hint, hint)

Remember, a quick call to the manufacturer's representative (internet search will yield it) with a run down of what you have experienced should be like kicking an ant hill. Highly recommended for the entertainment value if nothing else.

As mentioned above, get back to us with the results...enquiring minds want to know.

WE used to make dough balls for carp beacause they would suck on them. It was also very effective for suckers.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Originally posted by twilli3967
    WE used to make dough balls for carp beacause they would suck on them. It was also very effective for suckers.
    Not sure what you mean about SUCKERS, but my buddy's dad used to make dough balls out of corn meal mush and vanilla extract. The vanilla extract is illegal of course, but we caught a lot of big carp with that bait. Of course what we were doing was wrong ( I was about 11 years old at the time) but the fish didn't know that. May not have always been able to take the carp, but we found that with the right bait, you could always take the SUCKERS.

-- William Ernest Henley

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast