Smile Need Split Unit Recommendation

We live in Central FL in a 20 year old concrete block home of approximately 1100 sq ft. Our AC/Heat pump unit died in July (it was a 20 year old basic builder quality Goodman). Apparently the last repair guy not only flipped the fan upside down, but we were told he overfilled it with coolant. Anyway, two coils now have holes and since it is such an old system, it needs to be replaced with a new one. Any recommendations? Even without any heat/AC our electric bills avg $250 per month and have only decreased by about $10-$20 since it died.

Whatever beand you use if you are concerned about power consumption then the higher the SEER rating the les the power useage. Bear in mind the higher the SEER rating the higher the cost. Stick to better name brand equipment, Trane, Carrier Lennox and so on.

I find, and consumer reports backs me up on this, that brand doesnt matter at all. Infact they refuse to rate air conditioners by brand because they can find now significant difference between manufacturers.

For mini splits this is especially true. all the same parts!

also, sounds like it wasnt so "builders grade" after all!

Goodman makes good equipment AND they make it right here in the USA

Scooter

these are my minimum specs for a new HP system. both outside and inside units should be replaced to have a properly matched system.

15 SEER, 12.5+ EER, 9 HSPF
    best matching VS air handler
    full BTUs in both cooling and heating for your rated size
    R-410a refrigerant(same as Puron)
    scroll compressor preferred
    electronic demand defrost preferred
    thermostat with "dehumidify on demand" feature
    staged backup heat strips depending on size of new system
    new and correctly sized refrigerant lineset

you want a thorough inspection of your ductwork system. size, overall condition, supply and return lines, insulation qualities, leak test, etc.

any hot/cold spot issues in your home should be addressed.

I would look at Trane/AmStd,Rheem/Rudd,Carrier/Bryant.

Depending on location, I would not purchase a new HP system that did not have electronic demand defrost. Since you live in Central Fl, demand defrost not as important as locations with colder winter climate.

BTW, your electric bill is ridiculous and deserves a thorough review and evaluation to understand why.

IMO

Thanks for the input!

Thank you for your recommendation. Very helpful and specific which is what I needed, and you addressed both issues quite well. At this time we are looking at a Trane XR15 or possibly a Carrier.

If you want the absolutely lowest operating cost for an air-to-air HP, then you'll need to spend the money up front for a variable speed unit. The have very high SEER Ratings and often will beat the sticker rating by 1 or 2 SEER. But, they cost to purchase. The beauty of them is that under all but the most moderate conditions, the output of the HP will exactly match the heat loss or gain from your house! This means it's using less electricity to keep you more comfortable! What a deal.

Please insist on a Manual 'J' calculation be done for both proper equipment sizing, which will result in an accurate purchase investment, greater comfort and lower operating costs, no matter what brand of equipment chosen or what features and benefits are selected.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!