Natural Vent Gas Fireplace Install

Hi

I am replacing my old zero clearance wood burning fireplace with a natural vent gas fireplace. I plan to utilize the existing 8" diameter chimney and run a 5" aluminum liner through it. I did the same thing for my gas boiler downstairs. I have been given a big push against this from the company I am buying my fireplace from (he heard from a guy). He is concerned with the two B-Vent appliances using up all of the air in my 2000 sq ft house for combustion. I have a B-Vent gas boiler feeding a HRV for my primary heat and will use the fireplace for ambiance. I have looked in the codes and can not see anything stating that what I am going to do is illegal, I have also talked with other installers and they don't seem to share the concern. I live in Ontario Canada and would like a little reassurance.

Quote Originally Posted by ffmus View Post
    Hi

I am replacing my old zero clearance wood burning fireplace with a natural vent gas fireplace. I plan to utilize the existing 8" diameter chimney and run a 5" aluminum liner through it. I did the same thing for my gas boiler downstairs. I have been given a big push against this from the company I am buying my fireplace from (he heard from a guy). He is concerned with the two B-Vent appliances using up all of the air in my 2000 sq ft house for combustion. I have a B-Vent gas boiler feeding a HRV for my primary heat and will use the fireplace for ambiance. I have looked in the codes and can not see anything stating that what I am going to do is illegal, I have also talked with other installers and they don't seem to share the concern. I live in Ontario Canada and would like a little reassurance.
    He may be correct in telling you not to install if the house does not have enough combustion air, your ambiance could create a deadly situation. Someone experienced with combustion air can determine if it will be safe.

You can install anything you want in your own home without being licensed. However, the law also states you must have it inspected by the supplying authority, meaning the gas company. (Enbridge)
    If you are heating your house with a HVR (and boiler) you may not have enough free air to support proper combustion.
    If you buy a Direct Vent unit, it will bring in its own combustion air. That is my advice to you. IT would not cost you a lot to have a Pro check it out and give advice.
    Never give up; Never surrender!

Direct Vent units cost more, but are the better way to go. Yes, yes they are pricey. But they heat better and mroe effciently, look better, and are far, safer to operate since they are a complete heating appliance.

Good tips so far! I can't imagine a gas fireplace will consume more combustion air than the wood burner that is there, however I may be wrong. Secondly I would LOVE to install a direct vent, that was my first plan, HOWEVER I do not have the access to my attic (attic access is at the back of the house, chimney is at the front with only about 3' of clearance and 12" of insulation) to remove the old chimney and install a new chimney with the proper fire breaks etc. Because the fireplace is a corner unit I can not get a replacement with separate combustion and exhaust lines so the required chimney is 8", same as the one I have. So the long and short of it is that I am kinda forced to go the B-vent route unless I want this project to take me 6 months and involve replacing my roof.......

Quote Originally Posted by trouble time View Post
    You can install anything you want in your own home without being licensed. However, the law also states you must have it inspected by the supplying authority, meaning the gas company. (Enbridge)
    If you are heating your house with a HVR (and boiler) you may not have enough free air to support proper combustion.
    If you buy a Direct Vent unit, it will bring in its own combustion air. That is my advice to you. IT would not cost you a lot to have a Pro check it out and give advice.
    I am aware of that, and have a licensed person who inspected my boiler ready to come and inspect this installation as well. Good point to emphasize to others though!!!

I believe there are some co-axial flue pipe set-ups and some alternative combustion air installation designs. For one, if your near and outside wall, I beleive you can run the conbustion air to a seprate wall inlet, then you just drop a new aluminum 3" or 4" flexible liner to the fireplace.

I think you're optons may not be as limited as you think.

I do wish there were more high efficency gas firepalce options or at least those like water eatesr that were forced draft that could still use PVC pipe.

Cool

You should pay a WETT certified technician to inspect it first then advise you on your options based upon provincial codes. There are some gas direct vents in the States that can vent inside a listed factory chimney.............under certain circumstances. You might be able to pull two 3" flex liners down that 8" chimney and still meet the requirements.

Do NOT install a B-vent fireplace! It is a waste of money and a health hazard, esp. being in Canada. If you cannot afford to do it right, wait and save your money.

Pay the pro to consult on it with you.