+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thinking Of Working For Free To Get My Foot In The Door

Post Likes

Thinking Of Working For Free To Get My Foot In The Door

I graduated top of my class from a HVAC trade school. Problem is nobody wants to hire somebody without experience. We all know that what you learn in school (the basics and theory) in no way compares to what a tech needs to know and will learn on the job.

I don't really blame companies for not wanting to hire graduates because it costs them money to teach you on the job. Normaly a service tech call is a one man job and so paying a "helper" to shadow along is costing them money. That's why I figured I'd ask you guys what you would think about somebody offering to work for free in order to gain on the job experience?

I'd also like to take a moment to warn people thinking of going to school for HVAC. Trying to break into this industry is almost impossible from what I've experience and also seen others talk about. Nobody wants to hire a graduate with no experience. It's almost like you have to know somebody to get your foot in the door.

What blows my mind is how anybody ever gets into this field. What also blows my mind is that many techs I've talked to when I see their van at a gas station or something didn't even go to school. They almost always say they knew somebody who owned or worked for an HVAC company and that's how they got their start.

If anybody in Northeast Ohio would like to give a graduate a chance at learning this business, I'll work for free until you feel I'm worth paying something to. Give Tom a call at 216-644-3536.

Post Likes
    There are companies that hire newbies. You may start off being a parts runner, filter changer, or coil cleaner though.

Dont expect to be hired as a service tech or installer. When I started in this trade, I was going to school learning about it. I opened the phone book and called a bunch of shops asking if they are looking for an apprentice.

One shop told me to come in and I was hired.....for 5.50/hour. Did a lot of grunt work, but learned a bunch too.

Hang in there, explore all of your options, and be up beat and persistent...you will find something.

Post Likes
    It never pays to work for a company for free. IF you get hurt that would cause major problems with workmans comp. don't do it. What you need to do is look for a maintenance position for a smaller company, If you can change filters and clean coils you should be able to find something. Then after a year at that you should then check your options. Get some old equipment and practice in your back yard or work on your own system and break it a few times then you'll have to fix it. Most of your experience will come from mistakes you make in the field anyways. As long as you have good fundamentals you should be able to build your confidence.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by keeplearnin View Post
    It never pays to work for a company for free. IF you get hurt that would cause major problems with workmans comp. don't do it. What you need to do is look for a maintenance position for a smaller company, If you can change filters and clean coils you should be able to find something. Then after a year at that you should then check your options. Get some old equipment and practice in your back yard or work on your own system and break it a few times then you'll have to fix it. Most of your experience will come from mistakes you make in the field anyways. As long as you have good fundamentals you should be able to build your confidence.
    This is a good post.

Working for free only benfits the employer, not the employee.

Personally, I would move before working for free.

Now, I will add, that I may work for free, VERY locally, and only a few hours at a time. I wouldn't provide tools, or even transportation. My labor in exchange for experience seems fair, so long as I don't have money invested. This is assuming I have a paying job someplace else.

Post Likes
    This topic was discussed over the weekend on another thread.

I say, "go for it". Here's why.

If you make that offer to a reputable company, they will likely see that as a show of character, rather than a chance to get "free work". If they take you up on it, you can probably bet that you will be paid....even if it's only as contract labor, as opposed to regular wages.

I don't recall anyone on any threads here, that offered to work for free to prove themselves, that actually worked for free for a week or two and didn't get the gig, (or paid).

The owner/manager will appreciate and understand your offer. Why? Not because they're cheap....but because they likely do the same thing for customers.

Plenty of new customers are gained, because a manager or owner had the confidence to tell a potential new customer, "if we don't fix it, you don't owe us anything".....

Look around, there are companies that offer a money-back guarantee on their work. It's the same principle.

As a potential employee, you "want the business" of a given employer. How are you going to go out there and get it?

Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Post Likes
    When I was starting out I was going to school one week for my gas license and the next week I was working for a company for free. I did that for 7 months, so I worked for free approx 3.5 months, the one thing I realized was that if I can do this job for free for a while than I made a good choice for a career path.

Post Likes
    Among other things, I've worked the back of a trash truck, puked my seasick guts out while mate on a headboat, loaded carpet padding, made taffy and hawked skill games at an amusement park...I've been a human buldozer, forklift and dumptruck...skilled, jackleg and screwup...but none of them for free. That paycheck, be it ever so small, is my time compensator, my time is valuable and works towards the next step up---that currently be an inspector/supervisor.

Volunteer work is for saving kittens and tending the sick and hungry. It can enhance a resume but won't feed you and yours. If anything, it'll set you up for abuse and, if you're disabled on the job, legal woes that will drain you before it even touches them.
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Post Likes
    if you are really considering "working for free" for a company I'd advise you seek the advice of an employment law attorney for your state. There could be major implications and liabilities that will fall on you if things happen. WHat if you damage a client's or employer's property -- can your employer argue that since you arent paid that the employer is not responsible as you were acting as a contractor?

Maybe in the 1940's one could do this -- I'd think long and hard before doing it now.

Post Likes
    www.ua.org www.smwia.org www.abc.org all three of these organizations offer apprenticeship programs. I am sorry you are having a tough time, but so did I in 1972 and I had excellent grades in refrigeration school. Have you attended your local rses meetings? They are free. You could meet and get to know someone in the trade and maybe that will help you land a job. Also try going by the supply houses and talking to the counter people, they should know who is hiring. I hope this helps, It took me 3 months to find an entry level job and I feel your pain, those were the worst 3 months of my life.
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

Post Likes
    Go check out your local union thats what my dues is for training new guys. a great way to get in and really learn some cool stuff

Post Likes
    Wow....here's a guy who's looking to make a positive impression on a potential employer, and all some can do is be negative about it.

Just like the technical threads.....hide behind liability and whatever you have to, to be negative.

Bummer.

Post Likes
    When you are trying for employment, are you applying for a service tech position? My suggestion would be to keep knocking on doors, have a good attitude and be willing to start at the bottom as an install helper, filter changer etc... I don't know anyone who has hired on as a service tech to start, usually have to work and learn the trade before you'll be trusted to represent the company on service calls.

If your area is really economically depressed, you may want to look at moving to an area that is growing and has opportunities in both service and new construction.

Good luck on your career!
    Avatar is a tribute to my Great Grandfather, Andrew Stewart. This pin was one of his advertisements for his heating and plumbing business. I never knew him but must of inherited his love of things mechanical since I am the only blue collar worker in the family

Post Likes
    You’re in a tough situation and I feel your pain.

One thing I tried many years ago and it helped then was to: Offer a letter of resignation post dated say 2 weeks. This gives you and your employer a way out.

Good luck

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    Wow....here's a guy who's looking to make a positive impression on a potential employer, and all some can do is be negative about it.

Just like the technical threads.....hide behind liability and whatever you have to, to be negative.

Bummer.

I am in agreement with the legal implications that could happen. I can tell, you have never been drug through the wringer in court.

It will only take one time for you to learn, it isn't about who is right or wrong. It is about who's lawyer can baffle a judge/jury with the bigger steaming pile of BS. Legal fees are expensive. Covering you hinney is priceless.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by freemind View Post
    I am in agreement with the legal implications that could happen. I can tell, you have never been drug through the wringer in court.

It will only take one time for you to learn, it isn't about who is right or wrong. It is about who's lawyer can baffle a judge/jury with the bigger steaming pile of BS. Legal fees are expensive. Covering you hinney is priceless.
    I HAVE dealt with the bizarre legal system, just not thru my business. A long and strange story about a tree at one of my rental properties that I'll share another day.

Again....some people look for reasons to say "I can't".....while others find a way to say "I can"......We're all free to choose.

Post Likes
    RSES is responsible for my training, first job and eventually the connections that got me into the union!!!!!!!!!!!!

good sound advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bee View Post
    www.ua.org www.smwia.org www.abc.org all three of these organizations offer apprenticeship programs. I am sorry you are having a tough time, but so did I in 1972 and I had excellent grades in refrigeration school. Have you attended your local rses meetings? They are free. You could meet and get to know someone in the trade and maybe that will help you land a job. Also try going by the supply houses and talking to the counter people, they should know who is hiring. I hope this helps, It took me 3 months to find an entry level job and I feel your pain, those were the worst 3 months of my life.
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    Hey, I know where you're at in wanting to work for free to get your foot in the door. I went with the same approach about a year and a half ago. I lucked out and got in with a very small company and got paid 9/hr. a year later i'm at 13 doing install trying to prove myself to become a service tech. I think the approach of maybe minimum wage for a period of time to prove yourself, as wells as your willingness to start out at the bottom of the chain will impress any employer. My advice is get in with a small company maybe even having to commute is the ticket. Naturally a small company will need you to perform a range of tasks over time. you'll start out dragging ductwork, get into some pm's and then start running a service call or two. great for the resume and great experience. plus the fact that you dodge all the liability stuff by being on the pay roll, plus a small business owner will jump on any opportunity to pay a guy a low wage, willing to do whatever needs to be done. good luck getting to service tho. i'm still working towards it. but yeah man give it time

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in