+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Furnance kicked my rookie butt today

Post Likes

Furnance kicked my rookie butt today

Guys I need some opinions this am. Working on a Tempstar NUG5075BFA2. It has a VR8204M1075 gas valve. The t-stat calls for heat, inducer goes and closes the pressure switch. They the direct spark ignightor starts sparking and there is a poof of gas that comes from the piliot tube that imd goes out. The gas valve is getting 24v on the red wire and 12v on the black. Do you guys think the valv is bad? This is the first one wire spark ignition system I have seen.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarren2012 View Post
    Guys I need some opinions this am. Working on a Tempstar NUG5075BFA2. It has a VR8204M1075 gas valve. The t-stat calls for heat, inducer goes and closes the pressure switch. They the direct spark ignightor starts sparking and there is a poof of gas that comes from the piliot tube that imd goes out. The gas valve is getting 24v on the red wire and 12v on the black. Do you guys think the valv is bad? This is the first one wire spark ignition system I have seen.
    My first suggestion.

Stop reading voltages to ground when you really want to read across the coil.

What was the voltage from red to black on the gas valve?

Post Likes
    you need a new furnace, hive me a call, hurry, hurry, theres only a few thousand left

Post Likes
    Does anything prove that there is a pilot flame? Thermocouple?

Post Likes
    Sometimes a puff of pressure then nothing, will happen when the gas is turned off{residual pressure buildup through an almost closed valve or plug left in by gas company}. When something is kicking your butt it's a good idea to start over and never assume even the simple things. You will be surprised how often it's something really simple...good luck

Post Likes
    Did you clean the pilot tube and pilot?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave89 View Post
    Did you clean the pilot tube and pilot?
    +1 and clean the orfice.
    Ride hard on a Harley!!

Post Likes
    Right some times its the simplest things!

Post Likes
    LP gas or natural what was your gas pressure in out?

Post Likes
    are you using a manometer?

Post Likes
    I dont think he checked the gas pressure prob lp with no gas in the tank LOL

Post Likes
    I've done the same!

Northern area between Alantic and Pacific
    Post Likes
    What kind of control board u have? Is it a black box build of Honeywell smart valve? If positive,then check the board first before u condemn the valve. Good luck.

Post Likes
    If I read your valve model correctly, it's an intermittent spark valve that can also be used as a universal valve.

In your application, after the inducer closes the pressure switch, a Honeywell S8610 (or similar) module should open the pilot valve and initiate spark to light the pilot.

It probably has a Honeywell ST9120 control board as well, to control the inducer and the blower.

After the pilot proves, the module will open the main valve. The valve should have three terminals..."PV" (pilot valve), "PV/MV" (common), and "MV" (main valve).

Selling them a new furnace won't teach you a thing. Figure it out and learn from it.

Come back here for more help if need be.....we're here for you.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Post Likes
    1 post and you guys are giving advice ????????? I think this homeowner should call a reputable heating company and Quit playing like he is a tech

Post Likes
    no advice given here he would need to be a tech to do or even know what I said besides checking if he has fuel in the tank if its lp we never received that answer.

Post Likes
    we can't help giving advice. W are very sympathetic.

Post Likes
    He's in a tech-to-tech forum.

Post Likes
    had a keeprite gas unit that would get to the point of lighting the pilot then main valve opened and a good flame would be there then die back. Sometimes it would burn for a few seconds or few minutes... found out the gas company had a bad meter/reg and it was choking off the supply. The guy was way out in the country.

Post Likes
    Thanks guys! I am sorry for not updating sooner! I am not just a home owner trying to do it myself. Markvilleman put me on the right track. I went back and checked the honywell board and it was bad. Changed board heat fired and everyon was happy! Now A/C season has started early down here in Memphis TN and I am loving it! Not much of a winter here so I am well rested. Thanks for the advice guys and Ill check back in sooner so I am not labeled a diy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in