Thread: Mini-Split Air Handler Locations

Post Likes

Mini-Split Air Handler Locations

My wife and I bought another house for vacation rentals, and right now it has electric baseboard heat and no A/C. We're considering the best approach to both add A/C and improve heating efficiency - and do so least expensively since the house is only occupied an average of 3 days a week.

One of the options would be a mini-split solution, but I have concerns about the air handler units and their locations. Outside walls are best I understand, but almost universally, there is a window occupying the majority of any outside wall where a unit would be needed - and there isn't sufficient room over the window to mount an air handler.

So finally, I get to the question (Whew - we thought you'd never get to the point Tom!):

Although most mini-splitair handlers are mounted a few inches down from the ceiling, can a mini-split air handler be mounted mid-wall, i.e. under the window like a PTAC unit is placed? My guess is the answer is no because of the air discharge vent location across the bottom of the unit, but maybe I'm wrong. If there are any brands that are well suited for this type of mounting, can I get a recommendation? That would help me figure out which local contractors to invite...

Constructive comments only please!

Post Likes
    For what you wish to accomplish why don't you just use a PTAC unit?? You can then mount below the window, have A/C, and subsidize your heat. If memory serves PTAC units are less expensive than split-systems and you solve your dilema. I think you answered your own question personally.

Post Likes
    We have installed several of these on inside walls and they work just fine. While it may be optimal to be on the outside wall, the difference is very small. Just did a Fujitsu with 4 wall units a couple of months ago, all on inside walls for similar reasons (windows, doors, etc), and they are thrilled with the results over the old electric baseboards. Another option may be a cartridge unit in the ceiling?
    Where are you? Are you done yet? I got ONE more call for you.....

Post Likes
    I agree with gasguy, if you have access to a basement/crawlspace run the lineset/drain/power down an inside wall. I have done that on a couple of homes.

I also installed a indoor unit 12"(the bottom was 12") off a floor for an addition . But that was not my idea and I was against it but the home owner insisted. Oddly enough it works pretty good.

0k, long story/short. The guy got a Emerald Air (could be a Sanyo/Misubishi/Fredrich...pick a name) for free from his cousin. His addition was 18 x 24 three season room, with three exposed walls. with Brick half walls and windows on top (big heat load) anyway he didn't care where the thing went as long as it blew cold air. I said it wouldn't work, but he insisted and I was curious, so I gave it a shot and it worked?
    Why am I the only naked person at this gender reveal party

Post Likes
    Thanks for the quick feedback guys. From the install directions I've found online, non seem to mention how far from the floor, only how far from the ceiling to install. Although promising that jmac00 had surprisingly good luck mounting one lower then normal, I'm still suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by JonesHVAC-R View Post
    For what you wish to accomplish why don't you just use a PTAC unit?? You can then mount below the window, have A/C, and subsidize your heat. If memory serves PTAC units are less expensive than split-systems and you solve your dilema. I think you answered your own question personally.
    I have and still give that a thought. I also still have the idea of a wall/sleeve A/C-HP unit floating through my head (Amana makes a couple that might even be window mountable!) But their lower efficiency (9-12 seer at best, and HSPF ratings that aren't even published) plus the noise of having the condenser effectively in the room are big minuses in my mind. Although a verboten subject here at HVAC talk, I do find it attractive that as an all-in-one solution, there are no linesets and such to worry with - just carpentry and electrician's skills required.

Quote Originally Posted by gasguy View Post
    We have installed several of these on inside walls and they work just fine. While it may be optimal to be on the outside wall, the difference is very small. Just did a Fujitsu with 4 wall units a couple of months ago, all on inside walls for similar reasons (windows, doors, etc), and they are thrilled with the results over the old electric baseboards. Another option may be a cartridge unit in the ceiling?
    Probably the way I will go - Almost universally there is an inside wall I can open up - and I can even run the condensate lines to a sump pump in areas where I can't get a sloped line to run outside. The basement is currently open so access is no problem.

And of course, since the basement is open, I'm also debating a traditional ducted system (although there is no way to run a chase to the second floor, and I don't really want to have to run any soffits for cross-beam runs when we finish the basement). We'll see what kinds of costs the contractors we invite come up with though.

Thanks guys!

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-26-2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Post Likes
    Starwarsith88HVAC, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in