recalled carrier secondary

I have a carrier model 58SXC060-GG, found out about the recall lawsuit after entering my hvac training. The poly is gone 1/3 of the way through the secondary. I have been maintaining the furnace flawlessly since installation '93 and have never experienced a major problem. I have cleared out the secondary on occasion after, enrolling in tech school and hearing about the lawsuit. I am wondering whether I am doing a disservice to my installer by making them aware of the recall on my unit. They will replace the primary and secondary under the warranty granted by their "class action settlement". They are a top rate Carrier dealer in my area and I do not want to do any disservice towards them. Your thought would be greatly appreciated.

at its age its time to move on to a furnace..i think carrier still offers a credit
    toward replacement of that furnace..

It was recalled for a safety issue. Now that you are aware of it, if a problem occurred it might be considered negligence on your behalf. Pull the blower and look for rust spotting on the outside that indicates its rusting from the inside. Also, did you perform a combustion analysis? Either way, I would replace it.
    JLB,

It is covered under the warranty 3 hrs. primary secondary under "class ext. warranty" I am wondering if this is a "net loss?" for them. The only repairs were to replace the "IFC", due to condensate seepage as well as the pressure switch. I had the secondary cleaned during schedued maintenance, every 2 yrs., since becomming aware of the issue in 1995. The last 2 years, Ive been monitoring and cleaning every 2 mo., during heating season. My other repairs were simple wear items, HSI.

you will not really do anyone a favor extending the life of that unit at its age..
    hopefully it was reliable thru its life..its time for new equipment

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    dude, no good deed goes unpunished. time to move on. the newer carriers are much better. at that age they wont get much of a credit, but hey, its better than a poke in the eye
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

I realize the repercussions, small town and all, but I have kept this thing running by clearing out the mucilage buildup,& when my inducer turned into a water wheel,etc. I have no ac, use as secondary heat (wood stove primary). probably less than half the service life than a typical furnace in the same climate. I am not looking for a free lunch but, the secondary lining was determined defective by our great federal judicial system. Yes the unit is performing above specs. 94%. but I have persistently cleaned the orange scum buildup and have kept the secondary clear.

whats your point?

Quote Originally Posted by jrio View Post
    I have a carrier model 58SXC060-GG, found out about the recall lawsuit after entering my hvac training. The poly is gone 1/3 of the way through the secondary. I have been maintaining the furnace flawlessly since installation '93 and have never experienced a major problem. I have cleared out the secondary on occasion after, enrolling in tech school and hearing about the lawsuit. I am wondering whether I am doing a disservice to my installe ra disservice?? by making them aware they know it already of the recal lits not a recall, carrier settled. on my unit. They will replace the primary and secondary no, only the secondary is coveredunder the warranty granted by their "class action settlement". They are a top rate Carrier dealer in my area and I do not want to do any disservice towards them. Your thought would be greatly appreciated.
    do as you please but carrier will only cover the secondary that has actually failed. according to you, your furnace is working fine, therefore wont be covered
    Last edited by ch4man; 01-22-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: a

My friend, I'm no Cuban with a 57'Chevy keeping alive the dead,actually I am. Gotta gravity coal conversion '47 w/ 2oz. mercury contacts bakelite, whole lot of "white stuff",spring regulator etc.separate issue. The spiderweb of a secondary has me concerned, polypropylene threads wrapped around my inducer wheel having to clear the pressure switch port regularly, granted no performance issue, as long as the condensate is draining, I believe, in our litigious state,(possibly a separate judgement) and according to the contractor, primary is to be replaced w/secondary 3hrs. covered?

sorry, im bowing out of this thread, you make me dizzy

Call your local dealer and have them perform a combustion analysis. The results from that test will help determine whether the secondary will be covered under the settlement. Carrier offers a credit toward a replacement unit, but be aware that it is a meager amount. Bottom line, you need a new furnace even if the test results do not qualify for warranty/credit replacement. If it's not deemed "failed" now, or before the settlement time limit expires, I can say with 100% certainty that it will cause major problems for you in the future.
    P.S. It takes much longer than 3 hours to replace the primary and secondary in most circumstances, do you really want to save a furnace that old? Yes, 20 years is old, and in our region, 17 years is the average statistical lifespan or a furnace.