Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First time bending sheet metal

Well here's my first attest at bending up sheet metal. Done all by hand and had to come up with the plans myself. I know it's not the greatest but I'm pretty damn proud of it!

what kind of seam do you call that? No offense but what the heck are you going to do with that, hopfuly not getting installed.

It's a Pittsburgh and as far as plans for it none yet. Just given the task to build something from scratch with your own plans with joining methods we have learned. Most were building squares and lids. I tried this and I'm pretty happy with it.

im thinking that was done at home --- w/o access to a lock former ???

Quote Originally Posted by QcTodd View Post
    It's a Pittsburgh and as far as plans for it none yet. Just given the task to build something from scratch with your own plans with joining methods we have learned. Most were building squares and lids. I tried this and I'm pretty happy with it.
    Must be a modified Pittsburgh.

Do you have a lockformer in your shop?

Yes sorry for the confusion, I am still in school and we don't have access to a lockformer at the school. A brake is all we have for sheetmetal work for now. They are in the process of getting one.

I think that is good and creative ... Nice job man

good work for first time and not having any equipment. If the school is going to teach sheetmetal they need some of the basic equipment so you can learn the right way. What are you going to school for ?

And another sheet metal shop man is born. Looks good for your first time.

Just practice, try to make it better every time. There's a very high demand for good sheet metal workers that can take an order over the phone and produce a part that's accurate and looks good with a good price. A lot of sheet metal shops are in demand for skilled workers. Learn what a cut list is and start perfecting your work. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by JCT View Post
    good work for first time and not having any equipment. If the school is going to teach sheetmetal they need some of the basic equipment so you can learn the right way. What are you going to school for ?
    HVACR/MAR program at Midwest technical institute. Our branch just opened so little by little we are getting the tools. Instructor told us that getting a good understanding of what we are doing by hand will help when the tools do get there.

not bad. I see you cut slits for your folding bar

The key to that, is to make it so no one can see you cut slits in it, but you can't do it with that type fitting.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Talking

Not a bad first attempt! Just to let you know though you can make a proper pittsburgh lock with the brake. There wasn't always a lockformer for fabricating!

Looks good for not having any lock forming equipment. You can make that seam on the brake and then roll it. How did you make the male edge? Do they have hand rolls?

Sent from my iPhone 4s
    using Tapatalk
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast