Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Asian Garlic Eggplant

This is one of those awesome recipes where the final product has little to do with the base veggie being eggplant. Just a bit next level cooking; it'll probably take a couple of tries to get it close to being right in the beginning, but if you like Asian cuisine, it's definitely worth the time to play around with it. And no, store bought chicken broth just won't cut it. Maybe if you get some of the unsalted stuff then reduce it by about 75%.

You cannot use Italian eggplant, it will just turn to mush. Google the eggplant mentioned. But you can use an ordinary Japanese or Chinese eggplant.

Typically the formatting gets destroyed when I post these recipes, so I think I can post the original *.doc file. Which would be worth printing out if you're interested in the recipe.

GARLIC EGGPLANT w/ CHICKEN BBeerme 9 – 2012

Prepare ahead of time:
    1 Chicken quarter. BBQ’d with only salt and pepper, separate from bone (save
    bones for stock), chop coarsely, then save in freezer until ready to use. ~1 C portions

1 C Chicken stock. Boil uncovered (simmer) bones from above (five chicken quarters or more) with 1 chopped onion & a little fresh ground pepper, after a couple hours, remove bones and reduce liquid to concentrate flavor. Freeze in 1 C portions.

After chicken is prepared:
    1 Head Garlic. Separate cloves, peel, and slice. Do not crush or
    chop. Save on saucer. Sprinkle with:

Ό t Crushed red pepper flakes for some heat. Or more depending on
    taste.

1 Lrg Carrot sliced ~1/4” square & ~1” long. Steam / fry in pan with a bit of
    water, olive oil, and dash of salt a few minutes until tender. Optional.

1 T Corn starch slightly rounded to the 1C chicken stock. Mix well with fork.

Now you can cook:
    3 Med Filipino eggplant cut up in rather large chunks, sprinkle with olive oil
    and fry over high heat. You want it to have some color, but also still have some firmness so it will retain it’s shape and mouth feel. Takes maybe ten minutes, depending on several factors.

Half way through, add the garlic and red pepper flakes from above. You want the garlic cooked, but not turned to mush.

When eggplant is ready, reduce heat to very low, re-stir chicken broth with corn starch again then add to eggplant. Stir in briefly. Then add carrots and chicken.

Season to taste with:
    1 t Ginger powder
    2 t Sesame oil
    1 T Soy sauce
    X dash Salt. Be careful. Do not over salt. The more soy sauce you use, the
    less salt required. (I don’t even add salt anymore)

Gently stir everything together as it thickens, you can raise heat to medium for this. Stop and remove from heat after it thickens; too much heat or stirring will break down the corn starch. Serve over steamed white rice with greens on the side.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Likes
    sounds awesome. we have eggplant stuffed with crab and ricotta at our restaurant. it does ok. my wife and i both love eggplant (if it's cooked right) but it makes our throats scratchy. does this happen to everybody or are my wife and just weird?

Post Likes
    Heh heh, never heard of people getting a scratchy throat from eating eggplant. But you are most likely talking about the Italian eggplant here. The Asian eggplants are long and skinny. And I have found that the Filipino eggplants are the cream of the crop. They have more flavor and their texture holds up better than the other Asian eggplants. There is a greenish tint to them, so they look like they are not ripe yet; check them out on Google to see exactly what they look like.

Crab, ricotta and eggplant sounds delicious !!

Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    sounds awesome. we have eggplant stuffed with crab and ricotta at our restaurant. it does ok. my wife and i both love eggplant (if it's cooked right) but it makes our throats scratchy. does this happen to everybody or are my wife and just weird?

Post Likes
    Here is the 'original' recipe. Or the impetus to get the recipe mentioned above. The first one I posted is better, but there are a couple of things in this original recipe that might be of use for preparation in a restaurant.

And in the first recipe I posted, I said serve with greens. Probably just use broccoli. Here in the bay area, there are a lot of other Asian greens that I use. You just don't want something wimpy like bok choy.

Attached Files Attached Files

Post Likes
    Sounds great, love eggplant...great to meet you guys this weekend, enjoyed the conversation !

Post Likes
    they both look pretty easy and will stay in the walk inn for a couple days. we usually make a few at a time every 2 days or so.

Post Likes
    Heh heh, yeah, it was a pleasure to meet you! The idea was though that I was going to buy!!

Quote Originally Posted by lkapigian View Post
    Sounds great, love eggplant...great to meet you guys this weekend, enjoyed the conversation !

8. Likes lkapigian liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I'll take some photo's as I cook. Might give you ideas. Photo's will probably be prettier before cooking, but the end product is totally awesome.

The way I prepare the dish, the greens are plain Jane. They sort of offer a cleansing action for the palate so you can enjoy the next mouthful of the main dish.

they both look pretty easy and will stay in the walk inn for a couple days. we usually make a few at a time every 2 days or so.

Post Likes
    Don't think you'd want to prep the whole dish before hand. You could prep everything except the eggplant. At home, you typically stir fry everything. In a commercial setting, you'd cut the eggplant then deep fry it for a few minutes. Fresher is better.

Post Likes
    First thing is to slice up the cloves in a head of garlic. I only had 3/4's of a head left here.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Then I sprinkle the red pepper flakes on, depending on how much heat I feel for the evening. Photo likely does not show how red the pepper flakes are. The idea being that prepping and slicing the garlic is the most mundane chore, so I do it first. Nice contrast of the red pepper flakes on the white garlic as I am prepping the rest.

Post Likes
    These are the Filipino eggplant. Note the green, that is their characteristic. They hold up a bit better when cooking, and they have a bit more 'flavor'.

Post Likes
    Coarse cut. You want meaty chunks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast