Thread: Got Fries?

Got Fries?

I'm been told my french (freedom) fries are the best. I use the original method of blanching them until barely translucent, allowing to rest, then final fry. The original French method according to Julia.
    I never liked frozen fries. One day my son asked if I ever fried frozen fries? NO. I don't like them, I said. He says try it. So I did. I was amazed. Better than mine. As good as the best.
    They were Kroger brand. Probably any good brand would work. Then I see the package suggests frying along with other ways but I, like most guys, don't ask for or follow directions.
    I gave my deep frier away awhile back as it was messy and I just use a wok or skillet. Use a thermometer as it's the only way to get consistent results. Peanut oil, 350 degF Salt while hot. It's also faster than the oven.
    Maybe y'all have been doing this way all along. It just never occurred to me.
    Tracers work both ways.

Not sure if it's what you're describing but I thought you take your fresh cut fries and fry them slightly then freeze them. After frozen you fry them till done.

I was talking about the frozen french fries you buy already cut and frozen.
    In high school I had a summer job at a McDonalds back when they pealed and cut their potatoes in house. I didn't know at the time but they used the french method of cooking them. I thought it was just to save time in a rush but it was a method. The cut potatoes were cooked for a short time, rested then fried. The first cooking was called blanching. After blanching they were kept in the fry basket and put on a rack to wait for the final frying.
    The frozen packaged fries are also partially cooked at the factory and that's why I think they fry up so well.
    Tracers work both ways.

Blanching is pretty much just a time saver......
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

When I was a teen I remember we could go to the bowling alley where we lived and for 35 cents you could get a plate of french fries...... it was enough fries to feed 4 people...... and they were deep fried too........ greasy..... some of them were crispy...

Man... they were good.....
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    Blanching is pretty much just a time saver......
    Not at all. It's a method. I actually takes more time. One of Julia's books tells why.
    Tracers work both ways.

Longer cook time shorter heart attack time.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Longer cook time shorter heart attack time.

Taters would never hurt you!
    Tracers work both ways.

I learned to do the first fry at a lower temp, and the second fry higher.. Here's Alton Brown explaining it. <video>

http://frenchfrydiary.********.com/2...nch-fries.html

I became interested in cooking because of Jeff Smith; I like Alton because he goes into the 'why' behind the method.
    Last edited by RoundUp; 08-14-2014 at 09:05 AM. Reason: spelt no gud