Poke Salad

Thread: Poke Salad

Poke Salad

Anybody of y'all tasted poke salad? Had it in my youth in Tennessee. Had to grip the table when eating it because it was "strong" so to speak and didn't want to heave.

Didn't care for cooked spinach and this was a step beyond to say the least. Kinda of had to eat some to prove you were a man instead of a coward.

The deal was you would cut the young leaves of a poke weed plant in the spring before they turned red.

The women would put it in boiling water remove it dump the water, rinse it, reboil it and did this three times to make it somewhat eatable and supposedly remove any toxins and then you fried it in lard.

I heard it contained Iodine which back in the "old" days was not in salt and a good way to get your Iodine needs met so to speak. My girl friend's mom love to cook it in the spring and served it for supper.

This was back in the late 50's and 60's. Wouldn't mind trying it one more time to test my "mettle" again. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

isn't it called polk? I have never had it but am a huge elvis fan so have heard of it many times over. it's actually one of my favorite songs from him. I have heard it is bitter and is an "acquired" taste.

Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    isn't it called polk? I have never had it but am a huge elvis fan so have heard of it many times over. it's actually one of my favorite songs from him. I have heard it is bitter and is an "acquired" taste.
    Well where we were in East Tennessee it was called poke salad. It may have been called poke in other areas for sure. I've always been an Elvis fan myself and liked the song. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Well where we were in East Tennessee it was called poke salad. It may have been called poke in other areas for sure. I've always been an Elvis fan myself and liked the song. Thank you very much
    my restaurant has elvis playing 24/7 and many ice cream "sundaes" and shakes are named after his songs. people love it.

never had them myself but seen many an oldtimer pickin' leaves in fields where it was plentiful