Minnesota Potato Casserole
1 30 oz Bag of Frozen Shredded Hash Browns. (Ore Ida)
2 Cups of Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese or Colby Cheese (1/2 lb)
1/2 Cup Chopped Onion*
1 small Clove of Garlic, minced "optional"
1 10 1/4 ounce of Cream of Chicken Soup, condensed kind. Or
* * * * * 1 10 1/4 ounce of Cream of Celery Soup, condensed kind. Or
* *1 10 1/4 ounce of Cream of Mushroom Soup, condensed kind. (Campbells)
8 oz net weight Sour Cream
1/4 Cup melted Butter or Stick Margarine. (Originally 4 Tablespoons of Strained Bacon Drippings.)*
1 Teaspoon of McCormick's Season All
1/4 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper.*
Place bag of Frozen Hash Browns in refrigerator over night ( you want them icy, but not solid frozen.)
Preheat Oven to 350 F, and spray a 9" x 13" pan with cooking spray.*
Mix Soup, Sour cream, Melted Butter, Onion, Garlic, Season All, and Pepper in a large bowl. Fold in Hash Browns, and cheese reserving 1/2 cup of cheese. Spread mixture in pan, add 1/2 cup of cheese to top. Bake uncovered in 350 F oven for 1 hour, or till cheese starts to brown.*
Serves 8 to 10 people.*
I only have to make it work till I retire.
You can do this in a crock pot too!
Everybody has their own version.
Hash Brown Casserole
• 32 ounce hash browns (1 large bag)
• 1 pint sour cream (16 ounces) (not Darigold)
• 1 can cream of chicken soup
• 3 bunches green onions - chopped
• 10 ounces of sharp cheddar cheese - shredded
• 1/2 stick melted butter (goes on top before baking)
• 2 to 4 cups of chopped ham
• 1 pound chopped cooked bacon
• salt & pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in bowl and pour into 9 X 13 buttered pan. Top with butter and then bread crumbs. Bake covered 1 hour at 325 degrees.
Note: use only white part of green onions. Salt & pepper to taste.