Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Trane HP XL15i resonates against exterior wall and is louder than the old HP

My new Trane replaced an old 10 seer Lenox heat pump. It is not obnoxious, but I expected it to be quiet. When outside, it seems no louder than any other heat pump, maybe even quieter. But the deep tone of the fan seems to resonate off of the corner wall that it is against and the result is that I can hear it come on when I am in the house. It is on the ground and my condo is on the second floor. I assume there really is nothing I can do, correct? It is not bad, but it almost sounds like a helicopter in the far far distance. I think the problem is that the sound has a lot of bass and therefore travels.

OOPS, can a mod move this to the AOP residential section?

Relocated to the AOP

call your contractor back as I find the 15i to be very quiet

I had a similar issue. The Trane's sit up higher and the sound can transmit differently. The sound seems to project outward rather than upward. Sound is more easily absorbed by the ground and landscaping of shorter objects. I think the sound produced by scrolls sometimes penetrates through most house structure better than recips.

I don't have a great solution other than possibly changing the location or taking it off the snow legs if it doesn't absolutely need them.

It is not very loud. There is no high pitch type of noises, or rattling like many of the other HPs in my area. But, it is the fan on the 15i that has me mildly concerned. It does seem to make quite a lot of air noise. That is where the deep tone is coming from. It is the fan moving air. Could it be the top that makes the tone deeper? There is a very mild vibration from the fan as well, very mild.

Clydesdale

Just on a db rating alone, you can be certain that the XL15i is quieter than your previous condenser.

Various types of noise though can be perceived differently by people. What is objectionable to one is not to another.

Installer should take a look to make certain this is not an installation issue. It would be doubtful that this is a condenser problem. In fact, Trane's XLi series has a specially designed condenser fan that reduces noise.

I really would not know anything to suggest to eliminate the issue without a first hand inspection.

IMO

See item #12.

http://www.trane.com/Residential/Dow...209-14_web.pdf

Yeah, this may be a case where I am sensitive to this noise. I asked my neighbor, who's bedroom is right above the condensor, if he could hear anything and he claims he cannot. Whereas, I thought for sure he might complain.
    What could possibly be done during the install to make the system louder? Thanks.

Clydesdale

Just speculating and trying to brainstorm.

Condenser is level on the pad?

You might want to check this with a level not an eyeball.

IMO

How tall is the pad. Most homes sit on top fo a foundations that's exposed at ground level. SO the actual subfloor is almost 2' above ground level where hte pad is. This places the condenser fan right at about the same height at the bed and hte ocmpressor about level with the floor.

If there's any possibility of making the unit lower and moving it even just 6" further away from the structure, you might be suprised at how much quieter it is. But it will depend on lineset and if you have any "wiggle room" for unit placement.

This helped in my previous home. As a last resort, you might pull off you siding and add a layer of foam board or consider switching ot something with more mass like hardiboard or gasp... real wood. It will absorb more sound. Vinyl absorbs sound abotu as good as a zip-loc bag... virtually none.

I will snap a pic in the morning and post it up. The plastic-like pad is on 4 smaller concrete blocks, in a small bed of gravel. Therefore there is a cavity under the pad. But, what I think I hear is the actual fan. It just sounds like it moves a lot of air. But, I understand that it shoud be a pretty quiet fan. It really is not that bad, but I can hear it and I could not hear the old one. Now, that could also be because my air handler shoud be quieter as it is new and variable speed.

Here are the pics. With the snow melted again, I hear it more. Sounds like a helicopter or wheeled leaf blower in the distance. It is a deep tone. My windows are the second floor window. The window right above is the dining room, where the noise is not bad. The window in the right side of the pic is the living room, where I can hear it.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Does it have the sweep fan blade or is it just a standard blade. If it is just eh standard one maybe the contractor can change it to the sweep blade as it is quieter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast