Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

How to handle contractor problem...

I hope this is the correct forum, if not I'd appreciate it if the mods would move this post.

I have two issues that I'm looking for advice on... both regarding a recent job that I had completed by an HVAC contractor.

We live in a 1950's ranch. This home did not have central air, so we hired a contractor to add a complete system - two systems, actually, one up, one down.

Issue one: In cutting in one of the ducts, the contractor made quite a mess of our bathroom floor tiles... and then he just left it looking like this.

Apparently he thinks the job is done. He hasn't told me that, but I did receive the bill in the mail.

I've been thinking about what to say when I call him. But, before I do, I'm wondering if you professionals have any advice for how I approach this? Am I wrong in expecting that he'd make some attempt to repair this? This is something we never discussed, but I cannot imagine that a reputable contractor would just leave something like this and expect that I should deal with it.

Issue 2: When he got to the upstairs, he realized that he couldn't run the duct work the way he initially told us he would. So, he ended up modifying and this is what we got. Each bedroom has two ducts right next to each other, right above/next to the door. These ducts are on the wall opposite the windows (16-18 ft away from the window in both cases). The only return is located in the hall way.

I'm really concerned about the efficiency of this set-up because everything I've read is that the air will come in the ducts and circulate right out the door toward the return.

Shouldn't the ducts have been placed on the opposite side of the room by the window?

I sincerely appreciate any and all advice you can give!

Is your contractor licensed?
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Our community doesn't license HVAC. But, I believe the state does. He's no fly-by-night... he's got a big business... lot's of commercial and residential... came highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    Is your contractor licensed?
    Probably, that's why the job looks like this. Licensed folks do these kind of jobs also. Actually the best "looking" jobs I have ever seen, are by the home owners when they do their own, and this is the truth.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by jensen605 View Post
    Our community doesn't license HVAC. But, I believe the state does. He's no fly-by-night... he's got a big business... lot's of commercial and residential... came highly recommended.
    I just checked and the state doesn't license, either. So, no way to file a complaint. Only options are to not pay or use the civil courts.

I just checked and the state doesn't license, either. So, no way to file a complaint. Only options are to not pay or use the civil courts.
    Pay, then go to court, if you skip pay they will lien your home.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Probably, that's why the job looks like this. Licensed folks do these kind of jobs also. Actually the best "looking" jobs I have ever seen, are by the home owners when they do their own, and this is the truth.
    Not disagreeing with you, but at least the consumer has some recourse if licensed. In this case hopefully the contractor is just not aware of the workmanship on this job!

OK, but what do I go to court for? If it's just the tile, I'll just try to work with him. But, if you are telling me that the duct work is wrong/bad... then I'll consider court.

I was thinking about hiring another contractor to come do an inspection and give me a price to fix it before I do anything drastic. Is this something you'd recommend?

Do you have a building department? Was a permit pulled?

OK, but what do I go to court for? If it's just the tile, I'll just try to work with him. But, if you are telling me that the duct work is wrong/bad... then I'll consider court.
    You can't take someone to court for running the duct the way it is, remember they will be looked upon as professionals and tell the court "why" it had to be done that way. You best option is to try and get them back out, and explain to them "nicely" your concerns, if that don't work your call cousin Vinnie.

Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    Do you have a building department? Was a permit pulled?
    We do... but, it's not work that requires a permit. I've already talked to them and they said they couldn't help me.

Do you have attic space? take us some pictures, so we will have a clue why they did it this way. I am not condoning their work, just curious why it was done that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    You can't take someone to court for running the duct the way it is, remember they will be looked upon as professionals and tell the court "why" it had to be done that way. You best option is to try and get them back out, and explain to them "nicely" your concerns, if that don't work your call cousin Vinnie.
    So, are you saying that the duct work is OK? I have concerns, but that's why I came here... are they valid concerns? Or am I just being picky?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast