Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I hate being the suspicious type but I have not trusted this situation since the first "deadline" came and went and this woman was still alive.

Does anyone else suspect this woman was working with the Iraqi's that captured her? Maybe not at first, I'd hate to think she was in on her interpreter being killed, but things are just too cozy for her to have not been helping these Iraqi terrorists obtain their goal of having Iraqi prisoners released;
    Carroll: Captors Treated Me 'Very Well'
    By MARIAM FAM, Associated Press Writer
    5 minutes ago

BAGHDAD, Iraq - American reporter Jill Carroll was set free Thursday, police said, nearly three months after she was kidnapped in an ambush that killed her translator. She said she was treated "very well" but still doesn't know why she was abducted.

Carroll, 28, was handed over to the Iraqi Islamic Party office in Amiriya, western Baghdad, by an unknown group, Police Lt. Col. Falah al-Mohammedawi said. She was later turned over to the Americans and was believed to be in the heavily fortified Green Zone, he said.

"She is healthy and we handed her over to the Americans," Nasir al-Ani, a party member, told The Associated Press. The party is the main Sunni political organization.

David Cook, Washington bureau chief of The Christian Science Monitor for which Carroll was a freelance reporter, said she was "fine."

Carroll's family, who had faced uncertainty after two deadlines set by her kidnappers had passed, said they were elated at news of her release.

"We are thrilled and relieved at the safe return of my daughter, Jill," her father, Jim Carroll, said in a statement read on NBC's "Today" show. "We want to thank the thousands of people that prayed and especially the people at The Christian Science Monitor who did so much to keep her image alive in Iraq."

Carroll was kidnapped on Jan. 7, in Baghdad's western Adil neighborhood while going to interview Sunni Arab politician Adnan al-Dulaimi. Her translator was killed in the attack about 300 yards from al-Dulaimi's office.

During her months in captivity, she had appeared twice in videos broadcast on Arab television, pleading for her life.

Her captors, calling themselves the Revenge Brigades, had demanded the release of all women detainees in Iraq by Feb. 26 and said Carroll would be killed if that didn't happen. The date came and went with no word about her fate.

On Feb. 28, Iraq's Interior Minister Bayan Jabr said Carroll was being held by the Islamic Army in Iraq, the insurgent group that freed two French journalists in 2004 after four months in captivity.

She was last seen in a videotape broadcast Feb. 9 by the private Kuwaiti television station Al-Rai. Her twin sister, Katie, issued a plea for her release on Al-Arabiya television late Wednesday.

News of her release also left friends overjoyed.

"I don't know whether to cry or skip down my street," Jackie Spinner, a friend who is a reporter for The Washington Post, told ABC's "Good Morning America."

Carroll went to the Middle East in 2002 after being laid off from a newspaper job. She had long dreamed of covering a war.

In American Journalism Review last year, Carroll wrote that she moved to Jordan in late 2002, six months before the war started, "to learn as much about the region as possible before the fighting began."

"There was bound to be plenty of parachute journalism once the war started, and I didn't want to be a part of that," she wrote.

Carroll has had work from Iraq published in the Monitor, AJR, U.S. News & World Report, an Italian news wire and other publications. She has been interviewed often on National Public Radio.

On Wednesday, Katie Carroll said her sister is a "wonderful person" who is an "innocent woman."

"I've been living a nightmare, worrying if she is hurt or ill," she in a statement read on the Al-Arabiya network.

Carroll is the fourth Western hostage to be freed in eight days. On March 23, U.S. and British soldiers, acting on intelligence gained from a detainee, freed Briton Norman Kember, 74, and Canadians James Loney, 41, and Harmeet Singh Sooden, 32, from a house west of Baghdad.

The three belonged to the Christian Peacemakers Teams group and had been kidnapped with an American colleague, Tom Fox, 54, on Nov. 26. Fox was killed and his body was dumped in western Baghdad on March 9.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

yea i agree i think there might be somethin going on, or is this really her twin?

Originally posted by railreferman
    yea i agree i think there might be somethin going on, or is this really her twin?
    Maybe she was the first of their 72 virgins.

I guess we're going to have to wait for the best-selling book she's about to write.
    "If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a KA." - Albert Einstein

It's later than you think.

Thumbs down ALLAH-Saved ..

She's a turbinhead lover anyway. I wish they had kept her.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Re: ALLAH-Saved ..

Originally posted by aircooled53
    She's a turbinhead lover anyway. I wish they had kept her.
    HAH! She probably is "kept".

Yep, Robo, She's a playa!
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour"

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

Any reason they would let her go after having dismembered other hostages? Yes, there is a reason. It ain't rocket science, roy. Don't make it so.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Originally posted by bootlen
    Any reason they would let her go after having dismembered other hostages? Yes, there is a reason. It ain't rocket science, roy. Don't make it so.
    There has been some murmur's about the possiblity that they were scared they would get raided like the recent saving of the panty-waist ingrates.

More likely though is that she convinced them she was better used as a propaganda tool. Let her go and she prints a bunch of news articles about how nice they were to her and how genuine their cause is.....yada yada yada.

Why not just be glad the lady is okay? You guys who question what she did to gain her freedom are pathetic.

Maybe she never lost her freedom. But anyway you look at it , she should not have been there and it was about as newsworthy as my hemroid acting up.

Originally posted by bigtime
    Why not just be glad the lady is okay? You guys who question what she did to gain her freedom are pathetic.
    If she has collaborated with the enemy, she is no lady to me. I really hope and pray I am wrong about this, but something is just not right about this whole thing.

She is a known Muslim sympathizer. She dressed in Muslim clothing so as to "not offend" the Muslims. She was on her way to an interview with a Muslim faction. She was used as a terrorist way to force us to do something that twice was not done, and then she was twice not killed when her "captors" demands were not met.

She was treated "well", had her own room, never threatened...blah blah blah.....for crying out loud people; some of us would consider her situation a vacation!

We have not only not heard one negative thing about her captors from her, we have had to listen to basically how wonderful they were.

I don't trust this one.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Originally posted by bootlen
    I suppose you never heard of a hostage situation where some are let go and others dont make it. To infer that somehow she was released because she used female persuasion, or she was a collaborator, shows your hatred for anyone that doesnt fit in to your quasi fanatic religious ideology. Even if there is a remote possibility she had to use female persuation, who are you to condem anyone for doing what they have to do to survive. Even seasond soldiers brake under torture, and that torture doesnt have to be physical. But yet you claim a female civilian should be above that.

You claim to be a christian, but you cant seem to abide by the most fundamental ideolgy that Jesus expected from us.

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast