Thread: 16 vs 13 seer

Post Likes

16 vs 13 seer

Im not sure were to post so Im just going to ask:

Im looking at a comfortmaker 16 seer compressor... there is also a 13 seer compressor. Both are single phase. So what makes a 13 seer become a 16seer?

There is also a 16 seer single phase vs a 16seer dual phase. I understand that the compressor runs a two speeds ( I think) hence the dual phase. The dual phase is about 500 bucks more... but both are rated 16 seer...

I would think one is more efficient that the other, so why are they both rated 16 seer???

Post Likes
    Bigger coils is most of it. Also would need a high efficiency blower motor inside if you want the "16 SEER" unit to really get it. Usually if you put a high SEER outdoor unit on a standard blower motor you get around 14 SEER.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pr0230jr View Post
    Im not sure were to post so Im just going to ask:

Im looking at a comfortmaker 16 seer compressor... there is also a 13 seer compressor. Both are single phase. So what makes a 13 seer become a 16seer?

There is also a 16 seer single phase vs a 16seer dual phase. I understand that the compressor runs a two speeds ( I think) hence the dual phase. The dual phase is about 500 bucks more... but both are rated 16 seer...

I would think one is more efficient that the other, so why are they both rated 16 seer???
    The compressor is a single speed, single phase and has an unloading plate in it, and does not vary its speed. The internal solenoid opens to bypass refrigerant from the scrolls or closes to allow 100% capacity.

Post Likes
    2-speed equipment only comes in 2, 3, 4 or 5 ton sizes. Don't make the mistake of installing too big of a unit.

Most A/C units installed are oversized to begin with.

Post Likes

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in