Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    Since others have already mentioned finding the right contractor first, lets look at the second part the numbers they are quoting for efficiency(which only mean something when installed correct with matched equipment and properly sized ductwork)
    A communicating XL20i 4 Ton unit matched with either a TAM8048 or 4TEE3C06 communicating air handler reaches a max of 17.5 SEER
    A communicating XL20i 5 Ton unit matched with a TAM8060 is 17.5 SEER or matched with a 4TEE3C08 is 17 SEER. So if they are saying 19.8 SEER and up to 23-24 that guy is a liar flat out, make him prove his ratings.

If you are not using a heat pump and using the AC only XL20i then you can get up to 18 SEER in either of those sizes with an air handler.
    Here is the update:
    I feel good about Trane Contractors 1 and 2. They both did load counts, checked out the duct work, and explained things to us.

Contractor 1 is a little more expensive, but can be explained by use of all the latest communicating equipment:
    Trane XL20i 4-ton Communicating Heat Pump with Charge Assist
    Trane 4-Ton Communicating Hyperion TAM8 Variable Speed Handler with Dehumidification
    Series 8 3-Stage Auxiliary Heater
    Trane 900 Programmable Communicating Thermostat with Continuous Comfort R.

Contractor 2 wants to use non-communicating set-up:
    Trane XL20i Heat Pump 4TWZ0048A1000A
    Trane Air Handler: TAM7AOC48H415A
    Trane TCONT803.

Contractor 1 says, "Why have all the communicating ability and strip it of its ability? We are using TAM8, which is brand spanking new, so there is not much info on it on the net" (they are right).

Contractor 2 does seem to recommend parts that don't live up to the abilities of the XL20i unit. I cannot even find info on TCONT803. It appears to be a 5 year old thermostat.

Interested in feedback concerning the dressing down of the communicating ability of the XL20i.

I install a lot of communicating systems and WOW they are amazing. The low heat temperatures are amazing for my part of the country because it determines its setpoint based on how it operates. The communicating is damn near needed if your doing zoning. It also will run your first and second stage compressors at better time frames for dehumidification, noise levels and comfort. I have often found that contractors that try and talk people out of things that are better do this because they dont know how to setup communicating and arn't comfortable with it. They don't take the time to do the training.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    I install a lot of communicating systems and WOW they are amazing. The low heat temperatures are amazing for my part of the country because it determines its setpoint based on how it operates. The communicating is damn near needed if your doing zoning. It also will run your first and second stage compressors at better time frames for dehumidification, noise levels and comfort.
    Not sure about zoning. No one mentioned anything about zoning.

steverino100,

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

This is your first warning. Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12