+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chiller Plant Optimization

Post Likes

Chiller Plant Optimization

Does anybody know where I can get information about optimization strategies for a chiller plant? Thanks in advance.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Thanks Digo!

Post Likes
    Tridium based solution:

http://optimumenergyco.com/

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    Good luck finding something affordable if you are looking for a packaged solution. I have looked at optimum. Building Logix also has a Tridium solution.

I am currently trying to implement this myself on a project with AX if anyone has done this before. Im not just talking about the condenser reset either, that is easy. I am talking more along the lines of the Hartman Loop.
    Go Rangers!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
    Does anybody know where I can get information about optimization strategies for a chiller plant? Thanks in advance.
    Something to think about is that there is a LOT of variables in a chiller plant. To truly optimize the whole plant, you must know how all those variables will affect the system. (Things like Chiller efficiency over it's load range, and how this changes with condenser water temperature. The electrical use for the Cooling Tower fans over their range, etc).

7. Likes oldhweller liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Exactly!
    Go Rangers!

Post Likes
    This paper from Mr Hartman himself tells a bit more about one of the methodologies (Variable primary flow):
    http://www.hartmanco.com/pdf/p04.pdf

There's even a code snippet with some if/then/else statements in there. I'd like to see an actual sequence of operation for a Hartman Loop.

Post Likes
    Yes, I would too Digo.
    Go Rangers!

Post Likes
    I'm trying out the CPO10 in CCT on one of our smaller plants, it reads to be promising as far as retrofit of older equipment.

Post Likes
    What is that Joe?
    Go Rangers!

Post Likes
    Johnson controls as a pseudo plant optimization program in CCT

pdf with regarding it

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies. The main problem I see is this particular building has 3 300 ton York Screw machines. All of the sequences call for an aggressive condenser water reset but anything below 78 degrees F is no good on these chillers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CraziFuzzy View Post
    Something to think about is that there is a LOT of variables in a chiller plant. To truly optimize the whole plant, you must know how all those variables will affect the system. (Things like Chiller efficiency over it's load range, and how this changes with condenser water temperature. The electrical use for the Cooling Tower fans over their range, etc).
    I agree 100%. I think I am going to leave the condenser water alone for now. I will be putting VFD's on the towers and condenser water pumps. The thing that just kills me is they had a plate and frame for free cooling in the winter and they ripped it out! Now they are complaining about having to run the chillers all the time.

Post Likes
    yeah, pretty smart move.

17. Likes oldhweller liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
    I agree 100%. I think I am going to leave the condenser water alone for now. I will be putting VFD's on the towers and condenser water pumps. The thing that just kills me is they had a plate and frame for free cooling in the winter and they ripped it out! Now they are complaining about having to run the chillers all the time.
    Yeah, the biggest change in chillers over the last 10-15 years has been the capability to run with much lower condenser temps. With the older chillers, as you've already eluded to, there really isn't much you can do for optimization, aside from resting on the chilled water supply temp based on zone demand (the goal should be for the most open chilled water valve in the facility to be near 100% open).

The old chillers can't handle the newer methods for increased efficiency, like lower cond temps, variable primary flows, etc.

Post Likes

ClimaCheck Performance Analyzer

Have any of you heard of the ClimaCheck Analyzer? This tool is by far the most advanced tool for you to get all the information you want regarding optimization of a chiller. Take a look at this

Advertising Link Removed
    Last edited by Chris_Worthington; 06-17-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Advertising Link Removed

Post Likes
    looks more like an ad for your company.

Post Likes
    http://www.efftec.com/efftrack/maxim...efficiency.php

Dont know if it's any good,but they have good articles about chiller operation.

Post Likes
    There are two I have limited experience with, Optimum Energy and the CPECS from Smardt/Kiltech.

They are both Tridium based, the Optimum Energy one the last I heard requires a annual fee to continue operating. I have heard figures as high as $20k a year. I also believe they will not show you any of their code.

The CPECS one is also a Tridium based application, it runs on a softjace and uses Kiltechs controllers (I/O Boards) integrated to the softjace through Modbus TCP to chillers and 485 to the VFD's. The one I worked on they gave me full admin access and there is not an ongoing annual fee I am aware of.

I'm sure there are many others out there. It's really about understanding all of the efficiency curves of your equipment and using the code to determine the sweet spot to be operating in at a given time based on load profile and outside conditions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in