Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by freemind View Post
    If you were as educated as you like to belive, you would realize that the statement that all of it begins and ends at management is nothing but truth. YOU are the captain of the ship. Blaming the first mate because you ran aground is just like a liberal saying that it's all the fault of the "man".
    I'm curious as to how this statement connects to the OP "What do YOU bring to the table?"
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

I am honest, hard working, always make the best decision for the company and the customer, take pride in my work, work 8 for 8 every single day, promote my company and sell as much as i can generate as many hours as possible, mentor the younger guys to work hard and be honest, loyal as a german sheppard, always available for overtime, spend many hours getting trained and training, never leave a job until i am 100% it is 100% perfect. never called in sick and have never missed a days work. i take my vacation in february.
    but mostly just honest and hard working.
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

Hey guys... just got finished reading this whole thread. I do see some great conversation here but I also see some hot keyboard action too.

Stamas, closing this for a while is a good idea. I think you are going to let it cool down and open it back up?

Guys... Stamas is controlling this thread so what he says/does is the way it will be. If he opens it back up after a cooling period then please dial it back a notch or two, yes?

Thanks

This is a good topic. A lot to learn from seeing both sides of the table. But stick to the topic or start your own.

Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    I take my vacation in February.
    Another green flag from someone who "gets it".

Our trade is generally seasonal. Asking for vacation during July (unless you're working in a large shop that can absorb your absence) is not practical.

Neither the owner, nor the employees of a toy store take vacation in December....

I don't know... I thought it was the employees vacation time. Sure doesn't seem like the employees time if he can't take it when he wants.

Most people around here want their vacations in the summer, so they can spend a week at a lake someplace. In the winter up here, there is nothing to do really, other than sit to home. That isn't how I would want to spend MY vacation time.

I see people taking vacations every year, when the business is in "busy season". They schedule the time 2-4 weeks in advance, sometimes more. It is MANAGEMENTS job to schedule work around the employees vacation time, or pay other workers overtime to make up for it.

You can't blame a guy that has worked all year for the time off, to take it in a timeframe to do things they want to do.

Our company policy specifies, in writing, that vacation time can not be taken during June, July, or August.

I've had ONE employee that took issue with it. Everyone else has understood that in Texas, those months are "show time".....or "making hay while the sun shines".

That's where the money comes from, to keep the guys in paychecks during slow times.

The farmer doesn't take vacation during planting or harvest season.

Larger shops may be able to absorb vacations during busy season. Smaller shops (4-8 guys) simply can not do that in this part of the country.

"Spring Break" and the weeks around Christmas, when kids are out of school (and business is slow) are the most common times that our guys take vacation.

I have to agree it would definately would be difficult for a small shop to loose a guy in the middle of summer in Texas. If it's company policy that's the way it goes. Personally I've never been in a small shop where vaca was restricted and hope I never do.

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    Our company policy specifies, in writing, that vacation time can not be taken during June, July, or August.

I've had ONE employee that took issue with it. Everyone else has understood that in Texas, those months are "show time".....or "making hay while the sun shines".

That's where the money comes from, to keep the guys in paychecks during slow times.

The farmer doesn't take vacation during planting or harvest season.

Larger shops may be able to absorb vacations during busy season. Smaller shops (4-8 guys) simply can not do that in this part of the country.

"Spring Break" and the weeks around Christmas, when kids are out of school (and business is slow) are the most common times that our guys take vacation.
    Since you have a written policy forbidding vacations during the months you stated, no one has a right to complain. It is plain and clear to see.

I have seen farmers take vacation during harvest and planting season. Most farms, of any size, have their people cross trained. Planting and harvest is no longer rocket science.

Even small shops around here, that I am aware of, don't stop workers from taking vacation when they want. Then again, this is not an area that you can't live without A/C.

Has anybody posting on this tread read a book call "Tech to Tech" By Chris Reak? I think it will shine the light on our business and what it takes a be a successful service tech.

I too have a policy of no vacations between Memorial day and Labor.
    http://acfwb.com/

"The best preparation for good work tomorrow is to do good work today"

TIME OFF....right now in the larger OEM shops guys are getting the pillow talk from the wifes on planning the summer.the SM is in there planning the watch listings(winter guys do monthly stints) no big deal druing winter most builidings doing OA/ECONO maint.glad to help on call out.most run an unwritten rule no vacation scheduling till watch list comes out...weddings/travel or major family stuff if you have "JUICE"(years) no problem.funny thing is they never tell you how important you are till you ask for time..."how are we going to survive" and the games begin.residential/light commercial no big deal ...commercial/industiral major problems with start-ups teardowns buttons being pushed and the lead guy is bermuda for 2 weeks...phones melt....seen it..
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

When I was young, starting out in the trade I barely took vacations because I actually was stupid enough to believe the sometimes forced mentality that the world would fall apart because some poor soon to turn out as a thankless soul would go without air conditioning for a period longer than normal due to my abscence. It's unfortunate to know some still actually feel that way. Other than illness or family emergency I always schedule my week in the winter for the islands and one in august to fish at least 6 months in advance so there is no back pedaling of excuses from the SM. Six months is plenty advance notice.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast