Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast
    I believe at the end of the day that the costumer is the Boss, so I promote what I can do for the costumer (A happy costumer pays a fair rate for a good job), manner, knowledge and commitment, I then ask what the company can do to ensure that I am able to keep the costumer happy.
    Does the company pay a fair rate.
    Does a company train
    Does the company have tech backup, when i am over my head.
    Is the company ethical, where is only does what is required so the costumer gets good value for money.
    If yes then, I am able to promote the company to the costumers with true conviction.
    At the end of the day, those who are at the coal face, are the companies best sales team! (without even knowing it)

Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    While I agree that factoid B is very subjective, that doesn't make it incorrect. I believe that our workforce has gone from one of employer entitlement which brought about the need for unions to look out for workers rights, to one of labor entitlement where labor thinks that a company owes them a paycheck at top wages just because they show up. Neither way is correct. Unless people start looking for a meeting in the middle, eventually it's going to swing back the other way. When I was an employee, I fully understood that if I didn't bring to the table what it took to pay for myself and make a profit for the company that I'd be using my talents elsewhere. As a result, the company saw that effort and was happy to pay me well over scale plus all normal company benefits. That made me want to do that much more. It's a team effort.
    In the end, as you relate, yes an employee must make the employer money.

However, I will still stand by my origanal statement. An employee thinks of HIS paycheck first. That is what drives him/her to get out of bed everyday. They have bills to pay, a mortgage, retirement and a myraid of other things to worry about. NO ONE gets out of bed for the express purpose of making someone else money.

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    Did you not read the post? They DID...in one form or another.....and downsized.
    Sounds like they are lacking in management skills then, doesn't it? Instead of growing they shrink. And THAT is somehow all the employees fault?

Quote Originally Posted by freemind View Post
    Sounds like they are lacking in management skills then, doesn't it? Instead of growing they shrink. And THAT is somehow all the employees fault?
    Again, you misread the post.

These guys CHOSE to grow.....

Then as they grew, they had to deal with the hassles of employees who did not adequately contribute to the bottom line. (Yes, THE purpose of employees to begin with)....

They finally got fed up, got rid of the employees, downsized, and now are much happier and profitable.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

You are clearly an ignorant fool with regard to your knowledge of how business functions in a capitalist society...and will likely join the ranks (if you aren't already there) of the perpetual malcontents, who move from company to company....always convinced that you are being screwed.

If you don't generate profit for your employer, you have no use there. Business does not exist to create jobs. It exists to make money.

Pretty strong words there John.

I perhaps see you as a moron, but I am not going to act like a child having a temper tantrum, and call you nasty names.

Not at any time have I made the claim that an employee shouldn't be making the boss a buck. I have said, HOWEVER, making the boss a buck is NOT the employess first priority. It is to his OWN paycheck.

MUCH like the the bosses first priority is to making money for himself.

Please take the stick out of your butt. Mmmkay? Thanks.

Again, you misread the post.

These guys CHOSE to grow.....

Then as they grew, they had to deal with the hassles of employees who did not adequately contribute to the bottom line. (Yes, THE purpose of employees to begin with)....

They finally got fed up, got rid of the employees, downsized, and now are much happier and profitable.

You do not GROW when you shrink. I will agree that they may have become more profitable. However, with less techs they can't take on as much work, and therefor, miss out on oppertunities.

You do not GROW when you shrink. I will agree that they may have become more profitable. However, with less techs they can't take on as much work, and therefor, miss out on oppertunities.
    You're not reading all the words in John's posts, obviously.

Based on some of your responses, I'd like to ask if you do now, or have ever owned your own business?

Pretty strong words there John.

I perhaps see you as a moron, but I am not going to act like a child having a temper tantrum, and call you nasty names.

Not at any time have I made the claim that an employee shouldn't be making the boss a buck. I have said, HOWEVER, making the boss a buck is NOT the employess first priority. It is to his OWN paycheck.

MUCH like the the bosses first priority is to making money for himself.

Please take the stick out of your butt. Mmmkay? Thanks.
    Nobody's having a temper tantrum here....YOUR words, from Post #27...

There is not an employee in the world that works to make a business a profit. They work to make money themsleves. Making the boss money is secondary.That isn't "greed" or "entitlement mentality", that is just capitolism.

What you suggest is plantiation owner mentality. People are not your slaves. They are people just like you trying to earn a buck. Anything else is well, smoke and mirrors.

But it has become clear, that your comprehension, spelling, and composition skills are right up there with your understanding of the business world.

Interesting thread.

If I'm applying for a job that means I want a job, obviously. But I know I want a job that is going to be enjoyable, and pay reasonably well.

I know I need to make a good first impression, so do I start with my demands? NO!!! I start by selling myself as the perfect fit for the job. After I've convinced my potential employer that I am able and willing for the job, do I ignore my own questions? No, I ask about all the details such as pay, benefits, training, tools, etc.. After all, im the only one that will look after myself! But never as demands! That will be a turn off IMO.

If I don't like what I hear I can go apply somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    You're not reading all the words in John's posts, obviously.

Based on some of your responses, I'd like to ask if you do now, or have ever owned your own business?
    Yes i did.

Quote Originally Posted by trouble time View Post
    Klove;

What troubles you about me wanting to do my job, while following all the rules and regulations?

Have you ever had your boss ask you to let a cracked heat exchanger stay on over night just until they get a new one? Stating while it was cracked when you got there 24 hours is not that long! I have. I refused. I red tagged and shut it down.
    I would rather have the customer put up with a little cold than have them end up in the morgue.
    There is no reason for this anyways. New furnaces are readily available.
    Kinda off subject, but a cracked heat exchanger doesnt scare me. Broken flue pipe or back drafting is what you need to draw the line on....

Nobody's having a temper tantrum here....YOUR words, from Post #27...

There is not an employee in the world that works to make a business a profit. They work to make money themsleves. Making the boss money is secondary.That isn't "greed" or "entitlement mentality", that is just capitolism.

What you suggest is plantiation owner mentality. People are not your slaves. They are people just like you trying to earn a buck. Anything else is well, smoke and mirrors.

But it has become clear, that your comprehension, spelling, and composition skills are right up there with your understanding of the business world.
    Sure, you didn't throw a hissy fit. Your story....

What is there to dispute with my statement? You have not disputed anything I have said as incorrect..

Do you AGREE or DISAGREE that an employee works to make money?
    OR do you live in fairytale land and belive they come to work for the ONLY purpose to make the boss a buck?

You can take a poll if you want. I am willing to bet my wages that EVERY employee comes to work to make a paycheck, priority ONE. Take away that paycheck and they won't come to work. BET on that.

Sure, you didn't throw a hissy fit. Your story....

What is there to dispute with my statement? You have not disputed anything I have said as incorrect..

Do you AGREE or DISAGREE that an employee works to make money?
    OR do you live in fairytale land and belive they come to work for the ONLY purpose to make the boss a buck?

You can take a poll if you want. I am willing to bet my wages that EVERY employee comes to work to make a paycheck, priority ONE. Take away that paycheck and they won't come to work. BET on that.
    Brush up on your reading comprehension and writing skills, then take another look at your statement(s)....and mine.

You are blissfully making my "Factoid B" point for me. Many employees are clueless as to their real purpose in a business environment, which is why so many spend their lives angry, frustrated, and unfulfilled.

In YOUR mind, you are there to look out for yourself, and screw the boss and the customer if need be, so long as you get "yours".....In a business environment, the employee is there to generate profit for the company. Period. Plain and Simple. While you may not realize or accept that...it is reality. If you aren't generating profit in some form for the company, you are a liability and serve no useful purpose.

The truly good employee recognizes reality, and fully understands that if he generates profits for the company, his position is secure.

Look around. Some guys stay happily at a job for decades.....while others move around every year and a half. There is a common theme for both.

Go back and read the responses from chuckcrj, jpsmith, and jrmech.....They "get it"....and even more interesting, is that their attitudes are exuded in their participation on this forum...They are all well-respected members here. They see the big picture. It's not happenstance.
    Last edited by John Markl; 01-17-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast