Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

carrier won't cool Tech wants to replace TXV

I have a less than 1 yr old carrier 25HPA536A310. Installed last August. Stopped cooling effectively. Tech came out his notes are: and "Added 3lb 10 oz of R-410a to bring subcool to speed. 11 deg., press 250/48 w/87 deg. sat temp and 74 deg. LL temp. No indication of overheat to TXV buld. TXV is only possibility. 7 deg. split." I know nothing about this, but should this much R-410a need to be added to a new system? It cooled fine last Aug-Sept when installed. I've read other posts here where TXV replacement was more than common. Any ideas what could be wrong? Faulty installation? My warrenty is up in August so I do not want this to be a hunt and peck every month until I'm out of warranty. Any help or direction appreciated.

I would think that a unit that is less than a year old should not need any refrigerant added. I would question why they needed to add some. Sounds as though you may have a leak in it. The TXV that is less then 1 year old should not need to be replaced. Let us know what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by curtbsa View Post
    I have a less than 1 yr old carrier 25HPA536A310. Installed last August. Stopped cooling effectively. Tech came out his notes are: and "Added 3lb 10 oz of R-410a to bring subcool to speed. 11 deg., press 250/48 w/87 deg. sat temp and 74 deg. LL temp. No indication of overheat to TXV buld. TXV is only possibility. 7 deg. split." I know nothing about this, but should this much R-410a need to be added to a new system? It cooled fine last Aug-Sept when installed. I've read other posts here where TXV replacement was more than common. Any ideas what could be wrong? Faulty installation? My warrenty is up in August so I do not want this to be a hunt and peck every month until I'm out of warranty. Any help or direction appreciated.

You should have at least a 5 year warranty on parts. Possibly the installing company gave a one year labor warranty. What was you original service call for? Could be a follow up call maybe.

First, I would ask them to send a different tech.
    Second, I would ask them to find the leak.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

I'm no genius, but I know enough to know I shouldn't need almost 4lbs of refrigerant to a unit less than 1 yr old. Parts warranty is 10 years but labor 1 yr. I want it fixed and fixed right, not a hunt and peck and guess. Service company is the same company that installed it and they are supposed to be a reputable established outfit. Ditto on the new tech.

What was the ambient temperature? He didn't calculate superheat, which would have been really nice to know. Shooting from the hip, yes you have a leak and a 7* split (with missing information) could be a TXV, but I'd need more info to be exact.

Since he's recently added some refrigerant R-410A has the system been operating normal, without the replacement of the txv, such as it was in the beginning?

If so then there's no more evidence that would conclude that the txv is bad and/or that your system is NOT leaking.

The way I'm reading this, your tech used a jug of refrigerant as a diagnostic tool. He put gauges on the system and for all intents and purposes it read as low refrigerant charge. I'm not finger pointing at him. There's not a tech out there who has not ever slapped his gauges on a system, read the pressures, thought low charge, and began charging, only to find he's got a bigger issue. I've been there. You learn.

Without actually being at your house and without knowing what your indoor and outdoor air conditions were at the time your tech checked your system, I would still lean toward his analysis as being correct. A TXV that fails closed starves the evaporator and can lead a tech to think the charge is low. What your tech may want to do in the future is search for obvious signs of refrigerant leakage first, as any system that is actually low on refrigerant has a leak, and that leak must be repaired.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

If he added almost 4 pounds of refrig. and the pressures were 250/48 you may have more than one issue. Is that the way he left the system operating?
    Was it cooling after he was done? Something isnt jiving here. If that is what pressure he had then the coil will be iced up and you wont get any cooling.
    Did he even attempt to look for a leak?
    As stated earlier...insist on another tech coming out. If you aren't satisfied call the Carrier hot line and complain. They will contact the area tech support and help you. You paid good money for a good system and you aren't getting good service for what you paid. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    The way I'm reading this, your tech used a jug of refrigerant as a diagnostic tool. He put gauges on the system and for all intents and purposes it read as low refrigerant charge. I'm not finger pointing at him. There's not a tech out there who has not ever slapped his gauges on a system, read the pressures, thought low charge, and began charging, only to find he's got a bigger issue. I've been there. You learn.

Without actually being at your house and without knowing what your indoor and outdoor air conditions were at the time your tech checked your system, I would still lean toward his analysis as being correct. A TXV that fails closed starves the evaporator and can lead a tech to think the charge is low. What your tech may want to do in the future is search for obvious signs of refrigerant leakage first, as any system that is actually low on refrigerant has a leak, and that leak must be repaired.
    I agree with your statement, superheat at the evap coil would have been some handy information to know.

That is NOT correct pressures for R410a system.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Quote Originally Posted by aircooled53 View Post
    That is NOT correct pressures for R410a system.
    This a billion times, this. Sounds like there may be 2 issues at work here.

answer question in replies

thanks to everyone for replying. Refrigerent did not solve the problem, won't cool. Tech turned AC off and we only have the fan circulating air in the house. He said if TVX is bad, running unit will damage it. I am waiting on the company to call me back after reviewing tech notes and they are seeing if the TVX part is available in their warehouse/supply and if not, when will one come in. Told them I was concerned about either A- a leak that needs to be fixed or B - did they add too much coolant and damage the system. (don't know if its possible to add too much) They are gettting back with me later this PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast