Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for Seasoned and Passionate HVAC Tech in or around Montreal, Quebec

You guys outside Quebec have all the luck, you have a ton of great HVAC people, you can easily see that by some of the great techs that participate on this board and provide tons of helpful and free information.

In Montreal I have not been able to locate anyone of the caliber that I have seen on this board, I'm hoping someone from Montreal or surrounding will see this and might be able to refer me to someone that is as good.

In Montreal I can't find anyone that sells a wide variety of systems, they all stick to one brand and tell you that is the best, in terms of caliber, I find their expertise is in cleaning your filters and making their money from Spring/Fall checkups.

I live in a construciton that was built in the last 5 years, I have humidity issues, I want my system balanced so that the air is more even throughout the house (as we have certain rooms that are cold), I want one of those new Vision Pro IAQ Thermostat that can automatically adjust for humidity levels, and I would like to consider one of those American Standard Accuclean as I want the best Air quality I can have as there are Asthma issues.

Any help appreciated.

These are the HVAC components I have:

- Amana Heat Pump
    - Lennox EC10Q4 Furnace
    - Lifebreath HRV dated 06/4/2006 Model 200max
    - Lennox Healthy Cliimate Humidifer Model Wb2-17
    - 20x24x4 Air Filter
    - My Main Thermostat is a non programmable Robert Shaw
    - Next to the main thermostats there is also a dehumidifer Thermostat

Humidity issues, too much too little?

the accuclean is nice ,take a look at the aprilair 5000 air cleaner.the

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Humidity issues, too much too little?
    I'm following the recommendations found here, http://s3.amazonaws.com/eakes-produc...jpg?1260507644

and at aprox -20 outisde, my windowes are forming ice at the bottom when we wake up in the morning, I keep the house between 20-21 and I drop it while we are sleeping to 18 to 19.

It gets better if I just turn the whole system off but not perfect, no more ice but still condensation, by off I mean from the thermostat and I don't close the duct, maybe I should, I don't know at this point.

The only suggestion I have is to call the Master Group, 514.527.6811, and ask them to recommend someone.
    *Proud Member of UA LOCAL 516*

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    the accuclean is nice ,take a look at the aprilair 5000 air cleaner.the
    Thanks, when googling thes best air cleaner you normally see these two names come up. As a consumer it is tough to know what to do, I like the these boards because there is less conflict of interest asking someone what to do when they are no the ones doing the work.

As I understand it the Accuclean va Aprilaire usually ends up in debate, I think the Aprilaire has less up front costs but requires a replacement filter every year and the Aprilaire has a larger installation foot print, but I did see posts from one technician saying he prefers the Aprilaire because it allows him to sell filters, so I keep that in the back of my mind when I see recommendations being made.

Also I don't know if it makes a different, but in my area the Accuclean doesn't seem to be available, only the Trane clean effects, but my understandings that these identical.

I read posts showing the Accuclean is more efficient and doesn't reduce the fan strength to the rest of the house.

I also eventually want to use with one of those vision pro AIQ that I hear so much about, I live automation and having everything controlled from the same place.

I'm sill looking for any advice on my problem, and opinions on Trane clean effects vs aprilaire 5000.

I know install is very important, any advice for specific questions I should be asking the HVAC guy on how he will do the install in order to gauge how good he is?

Lower your humidity level to prevent condensation on windows.

As far as the filtration goes your 4" media filter you have will do the same quality of filtering as your other two choices and you will not spend XXX to have the same results.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Lower your humidity level to prevent condensation on windows.

As far as the filtration goes your 4" media filter you have will do the same quality of filtering as your other two choices and you will not spend XXX to have the same results.
    No matter how low I set it, I still have condensation on the windows, in fact the only way it improves is if I turn It to off on my humidistat, although there is still condensation. I haven't tried closing the duct though, the last HVAC guy I had in set to close the duct in the summer and leave it open in the winter.

What's worth mentioning is I heat with a heat pump and electric furnace, the air from the heat pump feels less hot and more humid where as the electric furnace heat feels hot and dry.

I would love to save the money but I'm suprised to hear you say that, I've heard I will have a dramatic difference in air quality with the Trane clean effects (American standard accuclean).

I am not sure what is in your area but a store like Brookstone or similar will have hygrometer/barometric pressure meter that hangs on the wall and you can monitor the humidity in the living area and some have a sensor for outside. With the temperatures that you originally posted your window surface temperature would need to be 59 degrees F or 15C to reach your dew point.

Having trouble managing humidity and iced up windows

I bought a gyro meter and it shows I have a constant RH of 35% but I still get ice up in the mornings and it goes away and they cycle repeats after every night, I started a new thread specifically for that.

Quote Originally Posted by rockstead View Post
    I'm sill looking for any advice on my problem, and opinions on Trane clean effects vs aprilaire 5000.

I know install is very important, any advice for specific questions I should be asking the HVAC guy on how he will do the install in order to gauge how good he is?
    I have the CE. Removing it and going with SG 5000 or 2210.

Quote Originally Posted by Stamas View Post
    I have the CE. Removing it and going with SG 5000 or 2210.
    What made you decide to move away from the Clean Effects?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast