Rheem Touch-screen clicking noises

I wonder if anyone can educate me on these new generation thermostats.

I have a Rheem 400-series touchscreen stat that was installed with my RGFD Contour furnace. I've always noticed that when it cycles on or off there's a noticeable, though not annoying, "click". My first question -- is this because new stats no longer use the little mercury-filled bulb, like the 20 year old Honeywell round that was here with the old furnace?

And what replaced the mercury switch, a mechanical switch that makes the clicking sound?

Third question -- and the one that's really puzzling me during this cold snap -- why do I hear TWO rapid clicks each time it cycles on or off when the outside temps are below 20F or so? As far as I can tell, the burner and blower are operating at about the same level as when it's warmer outside, and I see the same uppercase "H" on the furnace display.

The manual doesn't explain any of this, so thanks in advance for your insights.

Clicking Noise

cdjones91,

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

This is your first warning. Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 01-15-2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: No *

Relays replaced mercury bulbs so clicking is typical of about all digital stats except a few that use triacs.

Not sure why the modstat clicks twice. If you have the H appearing, that means the furnace is receiving the modulate signal so the firing rate should be varying. Since the inducer runs on high on all but the 40% rate, it may be a bit hard to tell what level it is firing it just by looking & listening. Airflow would vary, that may be the only way to tell.