Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 75

Thread: Goodman

  1. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Harleysville PA
    Posts
    8
    Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Originally posted by tsherwood
    Originally posted by a\c don
    Originally posted by tsherwood
    DON'T DO IT! YOU WILL BE SORRY!
    Upon what do you base your response?

    And please turn off the caps lock.
    sorry about the caps thing??????

    Why I am down on goodman is a couple reasons (and maybe things have changed) First is life cycle just due to the cabinet construction. I have found the paint and cabinets do not hold up (condensers). Air handlers insulation come off on the inside (Fan compartments)Coils that leak are another problem both conenser and evap. Replacement parts on equipment past the warrenty(control boards).

    Now the other thing I find with Goodman is that it is installed as a low cost option and widely use in new home construction. Low bid tends to mean poor installs and untrained installers. The odds are against goodman because of this. Now this is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions, everybody has one and they usually sink.
    Again, this is behind the times, uninformed thinking. Honestly, it is this kind of thinking that has allowed Goodman to surpass all other manufactures in the market share.

    You guys still think that everyone selling all of the other brands are the rabbits and that Goodman is the turtle...better reread that story
    So what you are saying is, what I have experienced is untrue and uninformed or did I just touch a nerve. I will give you a quick example. Goodman unit 7 years old and leak in the evap coil. New construction, low bid, poor installation and broken unit. Maybe if Goodman raised thier standards to who they sell to this would not happen as much. Look, nothing agaist you (sounds like you install Goodman primarily)and I am sure you istall at a higher standard than the norm this is just my findings.

  2. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    13

    Roboteq

    I know very well the Goodman story- just left a Goodman company owned dist. this past December. It is the main reason why I say Goodman is all about moving boxes- I have seen it first hand. The reasons that Goodman will not be able to keep their prices at the bottom of the barrel forever is because they have started using more quality pieces/parts but also because they continue to add COD's and finally the biggest reason and what is driving these improvements- the execs and quality control folks they stole away from Lennox, Carrier, Ford, etc.

    I never said anything bad about Goodman. What I don't like about the way they go to market is the lowball pricing. I can tell you we had more than a handful of dealers buying equipment at a negative GP%. The Goodman folks themselves call it a VALUE brand and Amana the premium brand. It always confused me- you want to compete with the premium brands, yet you don't even consider yourself a premium brand?

  3. #42

    Marketing Hype

    Bigned,

    I agree with your comment about the Goodman value versus Amana premium comment.

    Marketing !

    janigoodamana

    I'm afraid if the salesperson had to say this name, the customer would ask "Do you speak English?" Sorry, I couldn't resist.

    I will admit though - as they change the name, the various posts suggest that the internal parts quality (used in many brand of furnaces) is improving.

    After reading HVAC Talk, I realize there are a few good brands of equipment (other than Trane/AS, United Technologies, Amana/Goodman that many homeowners don't know of). I never heard of Armstrong, Air Ease etc... Unfortunately, too many customers perceive that all brands and/or all installers are similar.


  4. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    116
    Goodman sells directly to builders. Well, at least thats what THEY TOLD ME! When I was in Houston last year.

    Thats really looking out for the HVAC contractor.

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,923
    Originally posted by hvac64
    Goodman sells directly to builders. Well, at least thats what THEY TOLD ME! When I was in Houston last year.

    Thats really looking out for the HVAC contractor.
    This is not true.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  6. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    13

    It is true

    I know for a fact that they have a national contract with k.Hovanian and have signed Ryan homes in my area. Now maybe the builders don't actually buy the equipment, but I have seen the pricing that they are getting and WOW!!!! Yet another Goodman negative gross profit. That is what I mean when I say they are all about moving boxes and that someday it has to bite them.

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    5,340

    Re: It is true

    Originally posted by bigned
    That is what I mean when I say they are all about moving boxes and that someday it has to bite them.
    It already has bitten them. If you look at their financials for the IPO this coming week, you can see their profit has gone down hill.

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bartlett, IL
    Posts
    6,619
    Well I do have to say one thing, if it weren't for Goodman I probably wouldn't have gotten the job I did. It was all a matter of price. I quoted a job for a Trane complete system but the price was out of budget, so after calling on pricing for the Goodman furnace, coil and condenser, my cost dropped substantially to where I was able to pass that to the customers table.

    This system is being installed in a closet, downflow furnace, I sure hope this thing isn't going to be noisy on start-up.

    Which brings up a question for Robo, are the Goodman counterflow 80% furnaces noisy?

  9. #48
    Robotech,

    Don't know where you gey info but in the change to 13 seer, Goodman HAS increased prices. The main problem with Goodman in many parts of the country is that it is installed by hacks! I do believe that their new product line is leaps and bounds above old lines.
    Again the issue is the installer and the quality of their training. We have all seen hacks with all product lines, but it seems that Goodman passes all others.
    I have done almost all brands: Rheem, Carrier, Lennox, Fedders, Goodman and all associated lines. No brand bashing just observations. Just as has been noted here, Goodman calls themselves the "low end brand".

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,923

    Re: It is true

    Originally posted by bigned
    I know for a fact that they have a national contract with k.Hovanian and have signed Ryan homes in my area. Now maybe the builders don't actually buy the equipment, but I have seen the pricing that they are getting and WOW!!!! Yet another Goodman negative gross profit. That is what I mean when I say they are all about moving boxes and that someday it has to bite them.
    None of these builders buy from the manufacturer. All manufacturers seek national accounts with builders that guarantee those builders good pricing. That pricing is given to the HVAC contractor that buys and installs that equipment.

    So, you are wrong, no builders are buying equipment direct.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  11. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tampa,FL.
    Posts
    107
    Originally posted by deano821
    I have seen the new goodman furnaces at a local dealer. They dont look too bad. They seem allot better quality than the Janitrol line.

    I am looking for feedback on your opinion of these units.

    I tried to deal with goodman distributer and they told me the price on the equipment when i called back they jacked up the price and only came down a little i told them i would get it some ware else i bought a 13 seer heat pump by nordyne and the customer is very pleased.

  12. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,923
    Originally posted by tony82164
    Originally posted by deano821
    I have seen the new goodman furnaces at a local dealer. They dont look too bad. They seem allot better quality than the Janitrol line.

    I am looking for feedback on your opinion of these units.

    I tried to deal with goodman distributer and they told me the price on the equipment when i called back they jacked up the price and only came down a little i told them i would get it some ware else i bought a 13 seer heat pump by nordyne and the customer is very pleased.
    wow! Sucks to be you, eh? With some people claiming that anyone can buy Goodman and you can't...wow...just; wow!
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  13. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    349
    Originally posted by mo comfort
    Robotech,

    Don't know where you gey info but in the change to 13 seer, Goodman HAS increased prices. The main problem with Goodman in many parts of the country is that it is installed by hacks! I do believe that their new product line is leaps and bounds above old lines.
    Again the issue is the installer and the quality of their training. We have all seen hacks with all product lines, but it seems that Goodman passes all others.
    I have done almost all brands: Rheem, Carrier, Lennox, Fedders, Goodman and all associated lines. No brand bashing just observations. Just as has been noted here, Goodman calls themselves the "low end brand".
    Since you're putting "low end brand" in quotes I'll ask you to show me where you got that from.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event