Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Goodman

Stamas; I will be in O.C. on April 8-9 to visit my parents. I plan on stopping in at Tequila Mockinbird in Montego Bay. Let me know if you can run over and I will buy you snifter of a really good tequila that they carry

By the way, I had some barmaid put my tequila "in" the coke once. I drank it, but it was not good.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Snow Problem

I could use some edifcation on the teq niques of cactus sqeezins.
    Give me a yell, you got my email I believe.

Angry goodman?

man- I had a bad experience w/ them. They did not stand behind there product on a bad experience with a cracked collector box that we replaced 3 times on a 2 year old furnace.....the customer was pissed, we were tired of dealing with it & they finally literally gave up on it. Bad deal no technical help or recommendation on this problem. Until the customer decides to replace this furnace it is leaking water.

3 collector boxes, wow. I've been installing Goodman for a while and never heard of such a thing. Only thing I can think of is whether it was installed in an area that reaches freezing (basement/attic) and no or bad heat strip installation.

Originally posted by markm0369
    If people slam goodman what exactly are they slamming??? the copeland scroll, or recip? the GE fan motors?? the checkflowrator (more reliable than trane am. std. check valve) the sporlan txv?? the ge DC variable speed motor?? (used in trane, carrier,and goodman units) maybe they dont like the color give me a break. a very well desighned and engineered machine

Well said....
    We have done so much for so long with so little, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Wink Goodman Furnaces

We just had a Goodman GMV95 installed and absolutely have no regrests. The HVAC guy who installed it was very professional and took great pains in making sure that the work area was left clean as can be. He also spent the next 30 minutes explaining how the whole thing works and what the various doodads were.

The new furnace works really well and is very quiet. The only time you know its working is when you pass by the vents. Other than that, we get sufficient heat and can now control the whole thing with the 2 stage thermostat.

We're very satisfied with it and won't even think twice about recommending it to anyone who would care to listen.

Originally posted by summit
    3 collector boxes, wow. I've been installing Goodman for a while and never heard of such a thing. Only thing I can think of is whether it was installed in an area that reaches freezing (basement/attic) and no or bad heat strip installation.
    I've seen quite a few of them. All from air entering the IDB venting through the drain system without going through the burners and heat exchanger.

There was an initial recall on collector boxes installed on the very first run of GMNT and GMNTE models, most of which were caught and repaired at the distributor level.

All other cracked collector box issues I have inspected had improperly installed condensate drains, open ports on trap assembly, were overfired or had improper venting....every one.

All brands have their problems. 19i Trane had a problem with their smaller compressor locking up due to when 2nd stage came on it sucked all the oil ou of the 1st compressor. My belief about Goodman is that in the past they were pretty much builder grade equipment and alot of the "new construction" tradesman....which are like the lowest on the food chain as far as I'm concerned was installing this stuff, not knowing what in the hell they were doing. Hence, a unit is only as good as the installer.

Yes......

Goodman has gotten better- many of the same pieces parts as the other manufacturers. The problem is Goodman is all about moving boxes, period. It can't last for long before their prices will have to line up with other manufacturers. They have had at least 3 or 4 price increases in the last year or year and a half. If you are looking for a low price way to move boxes, Goodman is for you. I prefer to work twice as smart than twice as hard. I can sell one job and make what a goodman guy does on two. What do you think would happen if I sell two? Yes it is harder to sell a Trane if you sell on price, but if you sell on value, name recognition, consumer reports reliability studies, warranties on matching systems, etc. my gross profit will be higher and my net will also.

I like to work 1.6 times as smart and .7 times as hard. Unless it's the slow season then I'm 1.5 times as smart and .8 times as hard. Hope to get up to that big 2 someday. What really matters I find is being 2 times more nice than the Trane guys.

Originally posted by a\c don
    Originally posted by tsherwood
    DON'T DO IT! YOU WILL BE SORRY!
    Upon what do you base your response?

And please turn off the caps lock.
    sorry about the caps thing??????

Why I am down on goodman is a couple reasons (and maybe things have changed) First is life cycle just due to the cabinet construction. I have found the paint and cabinets do not hold up (condensers). Air handlers insulation come off on the inside (Fan compartments)Coils that leak are another problem both conenser and evap. Replacement parts on equipment past the warrenty(control boards).

Now the other thing I find with Goodman is that it is installed as a low cost option and widely use in new home construction. Low bid tends to mean poor installs and untrained installers. The odds are against goodman because of this. Now this is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions, everybody has one and they usually sink.

Re: Yes......

Originally posted by bigned
    Goodman has gotten better- many of the same pieces parts as the other manufacturers. The problem is Goodman is all about moving boxes, period. It can't last for long before their prices will have to line up with other manufacturers. They have had at least 3 or 4 price increases in the last year or year and a half. If you are looking for a low price way to move boxes, Goodman is for you. I prefer to work twice as smart than twice as hard. I can sell one job and make what a goodman guy does on two. What do you think would happen if I sell two? Yes it is harder to sell a Trane if you sell on price, but if you sell on value, name recognition, consumer reports reliability studies, warranties on matching systems, etc. my gross profit will be higher and my net will also.
    This sounds like a rerun of opinions from years ago and has no bearing whatsoever on Goodman equipment of today. Goodman has reinvented itself from the top all the way to the counterpersonel in Goodman owned distribution branches.

If you still think this way, you haven't been paying attention to what Goodman has become.

Also, the reason that the prices between Goodman and other brands is getting closer is not all due to Goodman increasing its prices; it's also due to the other brands reducing their prices to compete with Goodman. Goodman has set the pace in warranty and pricing for the HVAC industry for years now.

Originally posted by a\c don
    DON'T DO IT! YOU WILL BE SORRY!
    Upon what do you base your response?

And please turn off the caps lock.
    sorry about the caps thing??????

Why I am down on goodman is a couple reasons (and maybe things have changed) First is life cycle just due to the cabinet construction. I have found the paint and cabinets do not hold up (condensers). Air handlers insulation come off on the inside (Fan compartments)Coils that leak are another problem both conenser and evap. Replacement parts on equipment past the warrenty(control boards).

Now the other thing I find with Goodman is that it is installed as a low cost option and widely use in new home construction. Low bid tends to mean poor installs and untrained installers. The odds are against goodman because of this. Now this is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions, everybody has one and they usually sink.
    Again, this is behind the times, uninformed thinking. Honestly, it is this kind of thinking that has allowed Goodman to surpass all other manufactures in the market share.

You guys still think that everyone selling all of the other brands are the rabbits and that Goodman is the turtle...better reread that story

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast