Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

safety overkill?

The company I work for is now requiring us to wear a body harness attached to a package unit anytime were bringing something up to a roof including filters on pm seem like overkill to me what do u guys think?

Seems like a good idea to me. Maybe a little time consuming but its out of their pocket so id be game. They probably get a bit off their insurance or they really care about their workers to institute a money costing safety measure.

If you are wearing a body harness and fall over the edge of a roof, they have about twenty minutes to get you down or blood circulation cut off could mean you loss limbs.
    We in Ontario have to wear a harness, if we are on a step ladder that is over 9 feet, working within 6 feet from the edge of a roof.... But, there must be a rescue plan in place. This plan has to spell out how they are going to get to you and save you if you do fall...

(The step ladder one always cracks me up.....lol)
    Never give up; Never surrender!

I assume you mean roping stuff up along the side of a bldg requiring you to lean over, which may be a good thing you are harnessed to prevent hitting the ground. Of course it would be a bad thing to pull a RTU down with you!

I flat out refuse to wear my harness unless there is a rescue plan in place.

I'd rather die from the fall that die from dangling on a rope

Yeah i was wondering about who would rescue us if we fall off most time there is no one around in the back of buildings I guess need to keep phone handy

We just tell our guys, if you fall, your fired before you hit the ground.

Just kidding - a few years ago we were bought by a very large company. At first their safety requirements seemed difficult. Then over time, we comply and don't even give it a second thought. We now have a full time safety director, monthly meetings, required field learning. We all grew to like and appreciate it.

If you fall and don't have the harness, it's on you not the company.

In short - just go with it.

Not like the harness is pink, right?
    Anyone who says this trade is easy, aint doing it right!

If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans.

Proud member of the United Association.

Fall protection is a great idea.

When it is planned and executed properly.

No suitable tie off points. No rescue plan. No training in use of the equipment.

"here's your harness, good luck."

That is not a plan

how does the harness help when 1st time get on roof to connect the rope, or going up and down ladder? That's pretty much 95% the time I'm near the edge.

parapet walls included?
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Labor & Industries in Washington state require a body harness if you are on a ladder more than 6 or so feet off the ground. And if you are going closer than something like 3 or 4 feet near the roof line edge. It'a pain but has saved lives but that is usually where a large work crew is involved.

For service I never do it.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

I agree it is getting to be too much (rediculous) when to do a filter change one has to wear just about a full contact body suit. Hard hat, safety goggles, face mask, back brace, elbow and knee pads, safety harness, hard soled shoes with steel toes, it goes on and on.

Thanks to insurance statistics, OSHA regs will continue to up the ante when it comes to safety. Factor in just how much money there is to be made in the safety industry, why just stop there? It all is a racket just to keep you safe on the jobsite. Had any dealings with Safety Service companies? They pretty much threaten with scare tactics to get you to buy what they sell.

Reminds me of a local A/C outfit here that tells homeowners their electric furnace is putting out too much CO and needs to be replaced before the whole family dies of poisoning... Yea, really.

Don't get me wrong, I'm on board when it comes to safety and common sense, but it is a little much to be compliant these days. I do genuinely care about the wellbeing of our employees. It would cause me great grief if one of our guys (or gals) got seriously hurt while performing duties for our company. That is another issue altogether.

So you don't choose to follow the rules? It's OK. When an accident happens, OSHA will come for a visit, take interviews, notes, and pictures. Then the company has to pay a big nice FINE for the infraction. Did I mention there is money to be made in the safety industry? OSHA is now self-funded since money is running out. Not to mention the family members who will also be next in line with lawsuits... They have tremendous debt and other expenses as well, the extra money is a good thing these days.

Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by ats890 View Post
    The company I work for is now requiring us to wear a body harness attached to a package unit anytime were bringing something up to a roof including filters on pm seem like overkill to me what do u guys think?
    I would think it as an OSHA requirement.
    Big co in Ohio I worked for had the same policy. We had to tie off any time we "worked" within 10' of the edge. OSHA fined another company in the area 75k for not being roped off. That week there was a safety meeting and were all handed harnesses and proper tie-off equipment to avoid violations.
    In that area (NW Ohio), osha would get on a violation spree for a certain code violation and no one was spared.
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

I assume you get paid by the hour? If it takes you an additional 3 minutes to harness up andat ensure your personal safety, then I am all for it. I encourage you to take a step back and look at the big picture. Companies cannot afford to have a death or permanent injury on a jobsite. Also, companies who contract through your company cannot afford to experience a loss either. Get used to complying to safety rules and make sure to question those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast