Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mitsubishi City Multi advice?

Hey guys, I just got a smoking deal on a Mitsubishi City Multi compressor - model PUMYP48NHMU. I got it brand new for$ off Craigslist.

Anyway, I only got the compressor, so now I need to pick out the indoor unit. I'm thinking a 4 ton ductless unit. Before I get to the store this week, I thought I'd see if anybody had advice on which model I should get. Does it have to be a Mitsubishi?

Also, I've got a friend of a friend doing the install. They're professionals but I don't think they've worked with this exact system. Is there anything unique about the Multi City that we should watch out for? I'm just planning on having the one indoor unit for now.

Any and all information and advice is welcome here. I'm getting excited to get this hooked up but can't find too much info about them online.
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-15-2012 at 07:30 AM. Reason: price, and pricing quetion

Neither prices, not pricing questions are allowed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Ok, after a little research, it looks like I'll be getting the ceiling mounted ductless unit, PCF-P36 indoor unit.

Any tips on what might be unique about this system? I can't talk to my AC guys until Tuesday but from what I've read online, Mitsubishi has some type of "diamond dealer" certification. For just a one unit install, how critical is that certification?

I hope your guy knows what he's doing. The City multi is a completely different critter. Installation is much easier that working on these units. Your installer should thoroughly read through the installation manual and follow the procedures exactly as written.

If you made me install a celeing mounted unit I would not work on it for you when it broke down.

Relocated to the AOP

The key clue in the City Multi name is MULTI What that means is the outdoor unit is designed to operate multiple indoor units. And yes, you need to have Mitsubishi indoor units and good luck with the Craigslist outdoor unit (the compressor is only one component of the outdoor unit) as there is a reason it's for sale, otherwise it would have been returned to the distributor.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Ok, now I'm getting a little nervous.
    I'm also thinking about getting the vertical air handler instead.

Would that be easier to work on if something was to go wrong in the future?

In reference to the term "multi", shouldnt it work just fine (and hopefully less complex) if I only use one indoor unit?

Also, what other outdoor parts should I be budgeting for (without talking about price)?

I'm just trying to figure out what I'm getting into, now that I have the compressor. I thought an air handler and the copper tubing/wiring would be about all I needed.

Thanks in advance for any info!

the wiring has to be a special wiring with the mitsu units. they need a specific t-stat. and i hope you got the whole condensor and not just the compressor. and if i remember correctly the city multi's require multiple heads due to the refrigerant charge and programming in the control boards.

By multiple heads, do you mean multiple indoor units? I'm really hoping to use just one indoor unit.

It sounds like I may have rushed into this for a bargain. I did get two thermostats though.

I think it's the whole condenser too.... It's the full heat pump, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Seinfeld View Post
    By multiple heads, do you mean multiple indoor units? I'm really hoping to use just one indoor unit.

It sounds like I may have rushed into this for a bargain. I did get two thermostats though.

I think it's the whole condenser too.... It's the full heat pump, I believe.
    You can just use one indoor unit with this model.

I don't know why you would though. You could fully zone your house with up to 8 units, any combination of air handlers, ceiling cassettes, wall cassettes, floor mounted, and even a hydronic unit to heat or chill water.

Make sure you use an installer trained for City Multi!!!!!!!!! These are much more complex and less room for error than a standard split system!!

What area are you from?

Seattle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast