Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 27 to 33 of 33
  1. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Well all I got to say about that is that I haven't contributed one iota to the slaughter down in Mexico. I haven't brought or used any illegal drugs of any kind. If everyone did that then it would end overnight. What a tragedy. Thank you very much
    Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post

    Before you say it would be too costly how about you go google how much is spent on just the war on drugs every year, including the cost of law enforcement, prisons, and inmates and post it for all to see.
    Ok, I'll be the one who says it. Legalize drugs! Add up all the money mentioned and spend a quarter of it drug prevention/awareness and on getting people who are hooked off of drugs. Not to mention a lot of Mexico's drug wars would stop too.

  2. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    21,433
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeabides View Post
    Ok, I'll be the one who says it. Legalize drugs! Add up all the money mentioned and spend a quarter of it drug prevention/awareness and on getting people who are hooked off of drugs. Not to mention a lot of Mexico's drug wars would stop too.
    I suspect I am gonna start a mess with this comment... never stopped me in the past:

    IMO we need to take a serious look at the 'war on drugs'.

    On the surface it looks like a noble cause: Rid the country of those bad drugs, make it a safer place, a safer place for kids to grow up.

    Now lets look at the actual war:
    *The 'forces of good' never seem to accomplish much... in fact we are loosing the war while pouring more and more $$$ into it.
    *I wonder how much $$$ is spent every year on law enforcement as well as prisons for drug offenses.
    *I wonder how much $$$ is wasted on prosecuting kids for testing the waters of weed?
    *Ever see a sign that says 'keep off the grass'... and there are foot paths in the grass. Take away the sign and the foot paths probably will go away... just human nature.
    *And lets not forget the cost to health and safety of alcohol and cigerettes...
    *Oh, and how about all those wonderful FDA approved drugs one is supposed to take for the rest of their lives... which cause destructive side effects including birth defects, cancer, and heart attacks... OOOOPs...
    *And how about 'Fast and Furious'... that would never have happened without the war on drugs.

    IMO the war on drugs is a political machine designed to spend $$$... not to accomplish anything more than promote the careers of polecats. We can handle drugs on our own: All we need is some old fashioned justice at the local level...

    The lure of the drug business is insane profits... take away the illegal status, and the profits go away. Who would risk their life for wages? Not me...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  3. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Woburn, MA
    Posts
    6,799
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    I suspect I am gonna start a mess with this comment... never stopped me in the past:

    IMO we need to take a serious look at the 'war on drugs'.

    <snip>
    I agree. This is just another one of those things originally conceived by well-intentioned individuals, like unions, like the current situation regarding litigation of all stripes in this country, that has simply failed us either because it went too far and no one knew when to shut it down and say enough is enough, or that it simply doesn't work and never did (as in this specific case).

    When we have armored SWAT teams invading the households of non-violent marijuana offenders, how can anyone say that this has not simply gone too far?

    The answer to drugs is open and honest communication and education on all fronts; parents, teachers and police.

    When I was in 9th grade, we were shown a movie that was little more than a re-hash of refer madness. Even non-using students left the room shaking their heads amazed that ADULTS could actually believe such claptrap.

    There was also the thought that, hey, if they are going to lie to us about this, what else would they have absolutely no problem lying about?

    The best anti-pot ad I ever saw featured a kid walking through his house talking about his brother, a pot user. As he walked he dispelled all the phony myths; my brother never robbed people to support his habit, my brother never wanted to do stronger drugs because he smoked pot, my bother never did this... my brother never did that, and so on.

    Finally the boy reaches his destination, the basement, and there we see his brother draped out over the couch, stoned out of his mind, barely coherent.

    Then the boys says, "As a matter of fact, my brother never did much of anything".

    Bloody f*cking BINGO!

    Tell the truth and they will listen. Don't, and you lose trust. Simple formula, actually.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

  4. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,459
    Ron Paul has this right- There isn't a single line in the Constitution that says that the government can declare anything we do to ourselves illegal. Not a SINGLE LINE.

    Alcohol prohibition required an amendment to the constitution because otherwise it would have been as unconstitutional as the war on drugs.

    The war is illegal
    The war costs us BILLIONS in dollars every year
    The war likely costs the world 100,000 innocent lives every single year.

    Ron Paul is right- we need to stop ignoring the constitution and we need to end this illegal, costly war.

  5. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    21,433
    Quote Originally Posted by BACnet View Post
    Ron Paul has this right- There isn't a single line in the Constitution that says that the government can declare anything we do to ourselves illegal. Not a SINGLE LINE.

    Alcohol prohibition required an amendment to the constitution because otherwise it would have been as unconstitutional as the war on drugs.

    The war is illegal
    The war costs us BILLIONS in dollars every year
    The war likely costs the world 100,000 innocent lives every single year.

    Ron Paul is right- we need to stop ignoring the constitution and we need to end this illegal, costly war.
    Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner!

    IMO re-discovering the Declaration and the Constitution and the Bill of Rights... and interpreting them as they were written (not spin) would go a LONG way to fixing our country...

    Problem is: Folks who enjoy an unfair advantage would have to go back to work...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  6. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northern california
    Posts
    65
    Annex Mexico? Dumb idea. That would add millions to the welfare system, then Liberals would want to add more tax on the working to pay for the non working. And they would register them to vote. Ben Franklin said
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,
    that will herald the end of the republic."

  7. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by BACnet View Post
    Ron Paul has this right- There isn't a single line in the Constitution that says that the government can declare anything we do to ourselves illegal. Not a SINGLE LINE.

    Alcohol prohibition required an amendment to the constitution because otherwise it would have been as unconstitutional as the war on drugs.

    The war is illegal
    The war costs us BILLIONS in dollars every year
    The war likely costs the world 100,000 innocent lives every single year.

    Ron Paul is right- we need to stop ignoring the constitution and we need to end this illegal, costly war.
    Today's paper.

    They knew drug war was wrong

    VANCOUVER -- Oh, band of brothers! Four former B.C. attorneys general -- Colin Gabelmann, Ujjal Dosanjh, Graeme Bowbrick and Geoff Plant -- have platooned together to fight the war against the war on drugs.

    They want to see the legalization and state control of marijuana.

    They even released to the public a letter saying so, as if to stiffen their message with the starch of officialdom.

    They then mailed that letter to B.C. Premier Christy Clark and NDP Opposition leader Adrian Dix with the expectation that a letter from four former AGs is not so easily tossed in the circular file, as yours or mine would be.

    "As former B.C. Attorneys General," their letter began, "we are fully aware that British Columbia lost its war against the marijuana industry many years ago. The case demonstrating the failure and harms of marijuana prohibition is airtight. The evidence? Massive profits for organized crime, widespread gang violence, easy access to illegal cannabis for our youth, reduced community safety, and significant -- and escalating -- costs to taxpayers."
    http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...139501293.html


    We were seriously considering legalizing marijuana a few years ago. The federal government backed off though because the U.S. government would then consider Canada a Narco-State which would effectively seal the border.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event