Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is 18 Seer overkill?

Post Likes

Is 18 Seer overkill?

Is it cost effective to go with an 18 seer? My friend got a 5 ton and 4 ton for That seems ridiculously high but I'm too familiar with pricing soe maybe its not..any thoughts?
    Last edited by Katyinspector; 06-24-2008 at 01:47 AM. Reason: took out price

Post Likes
    remove your prices as they are not allowed. See site rules.

go with the highest SEER you can afford.

Make sure its installed properly by a reputable contractor. Get the 10 yr extended warranty to cover parts and labor. Get the semi-annual service agreement. And enjoy.

The lowest SEER system installed properly will outlast and outperform the highest SEER system installed improperly.

Installation is key. Not brand, SEER, or price. If you expect the best, you gotta expect to pay the most. Thats just how it works.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    other than condensation and air flow is there other reasons for strapping ducts?

what would be some things that would be poor installation other than not sealing connections or kinking ducts or not stapping off floor?

what is a good installation?

Post Likes
    you're never going to weed through this without help...hire a trustworthy reputable pro and relax

Post Likes

"18-SEER" overkill ???

My cousin and her husband purchased a new construction home in maryland
    in "2000".
    Their "10" seer unit's compresser failed last september.
    Cousin's husband is an engineer not sure what type he researches everything. He found out who was the most reputable contracter in his area was.He did not want to deal with "LOW-BALLERS"
    Their house had a furnace in the basement with an "A-coil"
    He had a high efficiency furnace in stalled may have been a condensing furnace because his gas heat bill reflected a savings compared to previous winter.
    He also went with a very high seer unit. He did'nt care about the "UP-FRONT"
    expense.
    He claims that his electric bill also reflected a savings.

Post Likes
    2 stage equipment is more for comfort then high savings.
    An 18 SEER doesn't have a good ROI over a 16 SEER. But can provide better comfort.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Katyinspector View Post
    Is it cost effective to go with an 18 seer? My friend got a 5 ton and 4 ton for That seems ridiculously high but I'm too familiar with pricing soe maybe its not..any thoughts?
    In most homes, a 14 SEER system offers the best combination of purchase price and actual operating costs.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    In most homes, a 14 SEER system offers the best combination of purchase price and actual operating costs.

Unless you have tested different SEER systems in multiple houses. Thats only your personal spectulation.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    An 18 SEER doesn't have a good ROI over a 16 SEER. But can provide better comfort.
    The upgrade price from an Infinity 16 to the 19 was slight to me, but my contractor told me that in the setup I needed the effective SEER (15.5->16) and HSPF (8.9->9.0 IIRC) was not going to be worth it in the end. Should I have upgraded to the 19 for the scroll compressor or am I good with the 16?

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Katyinspector View Post
    what would be some things that would be poor installation other than not sealing connections or kinking ducts or not stapping off floor?what is a good installation
    a better installation would mean;

flowing nitro while brazing
    proper sized ducts and copper lines
    proper evacuation (with drier installed)
    proper refrigerant charge
    properly hooked up high and low voltage
    proper set-up of t-stat
    proper system configuration (dip switches)

the list goes on and on!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post

I totally agree as you said "IN MOST" homes and I also would say in Houston, Tx. I feel it's a waste of money to go beyond 14 seer, but hey I am entitled to my opinion.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    I totally agree as you said "IN MOST" homes and I also would say in Houston, Tx. I feel it's a waste of money to go beyond 14 seer, but hey I am entitled to my opinion.
    Thank you, Mr Bill.

I now like you much better than Twilli

Post Likes
    Unless you have tested different SEER systems in multiple houses. Thats only your personal spectulation.
    I should have indeed added "in my opinion".

Take care.

Post Likes
    Next year, you should put a 13 SEER inplace of your 14, and run it for a year, and then the year after that, install a 15 SEER 2 stage and see how it does.

After all, You need somthing to do with all that money.

Post Likes
    Next year, you should put a 13 SEER inplace of your 14, and run it for a year, and then the year after that, install a 15 SEER 2 stage and see how it does.

After all, You need somthing to do with all that money.

Funny you said that we have a customer that went from a 13 seer we installed not that long ago thinking his savings would be a land slide guess he come here first "he has the money he's rich" so we installed a RUUD 16 seer two stage and he said he average savings on his electric bill for the past 4 months has been $8 a month so he has got back 32 dollars of his xxxxxx he spent for the new system. I started to tell him I told you so but he don't care when your rich you can do things that don't make sense unlike some of us poor folks.

You know what he said? he was laughing and said well that's a little over $100.00 per year now if I can live to be 150 I should come out ok.
    Last edited by Mr Bill; 06-24-2008 at 12:57 PM.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    LOL.. I wouldn't advise anyone to rip out a working 13 SEER and replace it with a 14 or 15 SEER to save enough money to get a ROI.

I sell them as what they are, comfort units. 2 stage with a VS blower is a comfort unit.
    8 to 12 bucks a month less then a 13 SEER is about right for here too in cooling season.
    And we don't have squat for a cooling season compared to your area Bill.
    People buy them for comfort.
    And that is what they do provide.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Funny you said that we have a customer that went from a 13 seer we installed not that long ago thinking his savings would be a land slide guess he come here first "he has the money he's rich" so we installed a RUUD 16 seer two stage and he said he average savings on his electric bill for the past 4 months has been $8 a month so he has got back 32 dollars of his xxxxxx he spent for the new system. I started to tell him I told you so but he don't care when your rich you can do things that don't make sense unlike some of us poor folks.

You know what he said? he was laughing and said well that's a little over $100.00 per year now if I can live to be 150 I should come out ok.
    IMO One thing you might oughta take into account, is the way TX electric rates have been moving upward lately. Usually a homeowner tells you his bills in dollars not KWH. And this June has been a hotter month than any I have been tracking since 2003, so energy consumption will do likewise. Just thought I'd mention that.

Best wishes -- Pstu

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pstu View Post
    IMO One thing you might oughta take into account, is the way TX electric rates have been moving upward lately. Usually a homeowner tells you his bills in dollars not KWH. And this June has been a hotter month than any I have been tracking since 2003, so energy consumption will do likewise. Just thought I'd mention that.

Best wishes -- Pstu

And I totally understand what your saying, but for me personally if I were not in the business and I spent the kind of dollars he did, my expectations would be that the new a/c system would make the meter run backwards. That would be the kind of savings that would justify me spending that much money for comfort. Heck I was raised in a home were the only a/c was you raised the winders and turned on the big fan in the ceiling in the hallway.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Here in Florida, 65% of our sales this year have been Infinities,high SEER two stage heat pumps.

Distributer gaurantees 25% savings on the heating and cooling cost,not the total bill,if they had 12 SEER or less for the old system.We often and to that gaurantee on less then 10 SEER equipment.

Utility company states that 46% of the bill is heating and cooling,so that is what is used to determine kw savings.

Haven't had a claim filed in a few years,beofre that two or thre,always found something that was the cause.

With the saving,and dehumidification abilties of these ,here in swampy Florida,customer really love them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Here in Florida, 65% of our sales this year have been Infinities,high SEER two stage heat pumps.

Distributer gaurantees 25% savings on the heating and cooling cost,not the total bill,if they had 12 SEER or less for the old system.We often and to that gaurantee on less then 10 SEER equipment.

Utility company states that 46% of the bill is heating and cooling,so that is what is used to determine kw savings.

Haven't had a claim filed in a few years,beofre that two or thre,always found something that was the cause.

With the saving,and dehumidification abilties of these ,here in swampy Florida,customer really love them.

That's just wonderful I wished it was like that here in Houston "but it's not" well just Bless your hearts it's work out good for yaw folks down there in the swamps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in