Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lennox Pulse

Lennox Pulse

M# G-1403-60-1403
    S# 5886C0313

Gentlemen of Wisdom

This furnace has been in my house since I moved here in 1995. I have not had to do any serious repairs on it other than cleaning the air intake box, replacing the filter, and also the blower motor, since I have been here.

What is the life expectancy of this furnace and how will I know when to think about replacing it?

When was it manufactured, does the 588 mean May of 1988?

Any other tips and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I used to service and install residential HVAC systems 20 years ago, it's just that I never had any experience with these pulse units.

By the way, I am very satisfied with the system and would highly recommend it.

Many thanks,

Lennox Pulse

Your furnace was built in 1986. I recommend as soon as possible you contact a Lennox Professinal Service Company and have your furnace Pressure tested and if it passes the pressure test get it serviced. I also recommend getting the furnace pressure tested anually to assure the heat exchanger is solid. I also recommend getting a CO detector not only because of the Pulse furnace but anyone burning fuel of any kind needs a CO detector.

that furnace was made in march of 86
    since you are the second owner it is no longer under warrenti
    original owner has a life time warrenti on the heat exchanger

the pulse is 97 percent efficient and there isnt nor ever has been a more efficient furnace
    the heat exchanger should be presure tested every two years and the air diaphram has the be changed every two years also

this furnace should be maintanced by a trained pulse tech every year. this is important to maintane the efficiencie

over time there are a lot of thing that will need to be cleaned and or checked

great furnace no need to replace till you have to because you will step down in efficiency not up

Originally posted by fixer
    Re: Lennox Pulse
    Your furnace was built in 1986. I recommend as soon as possible you contact a Lennox Professinal Service Company and have your furnace Pressure tested and if it passes the pressure test get it serviced. I also recommend getting the furnace pressure tested anually to assure the heat exchanger is solid. I also recommend getting a CO detector not only because of the Pulse furnace but anyone burning fuel of any kind needs a CO detector.
    Very solid advise above!

Here is the Memo From Lennox concerning the Pulse Furnaces

From Lennox Service and Application Notes H-93-15 released December 14, 1993 and re-released on March 30, 2005

In order to maintain the efficiency and reliability of the Pulse furnace, the following service guidelines have been established and should be performed on each scheduled service inspection of a unit. As with any gas-fired appliance, incomplete combustion (CO) caused by improper maintenance along with leaks in the system could result in serious personal injury.

Inspect heating system yearly. Inspect intake and exhaust PVC pipe for condensate leaks or joint separation. Repair, as necessary.

Check supply and manifold gas pressure. Adjust pressure, as necessary.

Check furnace firing rate by clocking gas meter. (Refer to installation instructions.)

Test oxygen / carbon dioxide level of flue gas to determine if proper combustion is taking place.

Test carbon monoxide levels in flue gas. Level should never exceed 50 PPM.

Check temperature rise and make sure proper blower speed is selected to match nameplate rating.

Inspect heat exchanger assembly for any signs of corrosion.

Inspect secondary heat exchanger for dirt build-up and clean, as necessary.

Inspect air diaphragm flapper material for dirt or deterioration and replace, if necessary. Air flapper material must be replaced every four years regardless of appearance.

Perform a pressure test of the heat exchanger and combustion chamber every four years.

Inspect gas intake flapper material for dirt or deterioration. Replace entire gas intake assembly if flapper material is found to be worn.

Inspect purge blower for dirt build-up every year and clean, as necessary.

Inspect stainless steel flexible gas connector for corrosion.
    Remember -- Some soaps used for leak testing are corrosive to stainless steel. Failure to thoroughlyrinse gas connector after leak check can lead to corrosion.

Check supply air blower wheel and clean, as necessary.

Check fan and limit controls for proper operation and setting.

Check all wiring for loose connections. Check for correct voltage.

Inspect intake and exhaust pipe terminations to make sure they are free from obstruction.

Inspect condensate lines for free flow of condensate during operation.

Instruct homeowner to inspect filter monthly and clean or replace, as needed. Dirty filters cause inefficient operation. Running the unit with a dirty filter or without a filter could cause premature
    heat exchanger failure.

Verify and check operation of existing CO detector.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat. (President Theodore Roosevelt)

Geez..How bout a lunch menu?

the warranty on that furnace was ammended to 20 yrs on other than original owner.it was part of a voluntary inspection program for pulses made between 1982 & dec,31,1989.it should be inspected imediatley & a pressure check done. it might just still be in warranty.if it passes the pressure check one should be done every four yrs.also the flapper should be replaced now & every 4 yrs as well.there are some very specific tasks to perform on your "yearly" maintenance.when you set an appt. for service be sure that your lennox dealer is aware it is a pulse & has the special tools nec. for the test.it may help if you can locate the install date.as for life expectancy,ive replaced a few that didn't pass the pressure test but if theres a furnace out there that could live forever ,this is it.

Originally posted by cub hater
    Lennox Pulse

M# G-1403-60-1403
    S# 5886C0313

I used to service and install residential HVAC systems 20 years ago, it's just that I never had any experience with these pulse units.

By the way, I am very satisfied with the system and would highly recommend it.

Many thanks,

Your main concern is the integrity of the heat exchanger.
    Also, if this passes the highly recommended pressure test, then a service call by a trained Pulse tech is your next best move. You might want the blower removed and the secondary heat exchanger coil inspected/cleaned. You don't know the past history of filter changes and this is a common issue with older high efficiency units. Also, a condensate trap cleaning is a good idea.

Due to Pulse technology, yearly service is questionable, but self testing before each season will tell you things. I know some won't buy this but most pulse owners I ran into didn't do yearly but they never neglected their units either. Those that did would have no heat calls eventually. Then air diaphrams, condensate trap cleanings, and the dirty secondary I mentioned, needed to be addressed.

For more insight, use the search engine here and type in Pulse. Variety of views on the pulse but I go with your last statement.

Originally posted by tinknocker service tech
    that furnace was made in march of 86
    since you are the second owner it is no longer under warrenti
    original owner has a life time warrenti on the heat exchanger

Lennox is a little flexible there, you have to account for time sitting in a warehouse. If he get's it tested this week and it fails, I am sure any Lennox dealer can get him a warranty replacement.

It was my understanding that Lennox did not supply a new heat exchanger anymore. They supply a new furnace and the customer is responsible for the install costs. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

The cost of maintenance on a pulse that is almost 20 yrs old doesn't make sense to me. The extra 2 or 3 % in efficiency doesn't cover that cost.

I worked for a Lennox dealer for 4 yrs and the next company had a lot of carrier and lennox units out there. Plus both had lots of customers with a variety of brands.

But your statement about the cost of maintenance threw me.
    More Pulse 'I don't understand you' attitude?

I am an employee of Lennox out of the Milwaukee district. The warranty for Pulse furnace after an original owner is 20 years + 6 months if the install date cannot be verified. You should have it pressure tested by an authorized Lennox dealer. If the unit fails the pressure test, a G51 furnace will be used for replacement. You are resposible for labor. You are also allowed to upgrade to a G61MPV (variable speed unit)if you pay the differance. Pulse furnaces are great units and very efficient with relatively low failure rates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast