Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Confused Truck AKA "Idiot Magnet"

Just my rant and rave today, do you guys get a lot of attraction of idiots due to your truck ? I have had ones from parking lots, just asking for advice, which they dont get from me. Or how about the ones that feel they need to knock on your door on the weekends cause "I see you live near me" meanwhile never seen them in my life. Or just neighbors, thinking I really just want to work in there house..to me its just taboo..no neighbors. I mean WTF ? Should I find an accountant that happens to live somewhat close to me and knock on his door, and say "I live down the road, and I thought you could help me with my taxes"... Really.. Comments/support please, am I just making something out of nothing ?

Dis-assemble the condensor unit and air handler, lay it out in a professional manner in their yard and say, "Oh, the truck? Bought it used, I'm an accountant..."
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

I get the occasional jagoff asking me to recharge their car AC or some such.

Since I do refrigeration, I tell them that the 'freon' that refrigerators use is different that that which AC units use..

Simple thing to say would be:

"The co I work for has strict policies about moonlighting work; I am sorry. Give the number on the truck a call, I am sure they can schedule you in."

I GUARANTEE you... the folks are looking for a free-bee... and when they find they will have to pay... they will go away (with an excuse of course... to not loose face).
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

The scams I get over the phone and internet are 10 times worse,all day long!

It comes with the territory, being a professional. You think those same people don't say "So you're an accountant? Can I ask you a question?"

"I don't do residential work." is my out.

But I do give advice when there's time. I don't think it's taking bread from your table by suggesting to a homeowner that he change the air filter. If it's anything technical, which is most things, I don't see the harm in a thorough yet non-specific description of the mechanical processes involved and the possible pitfalls of attempting repairs without training, proper tools, and experience. Most people don't really understand a word of it; air conditioning is magic; they might as well be asking the local shaman if the corn crop will be good this year. Anything I can say to an unskilled equipment owner to perpetuate the magic is a good thing.

Thinking of the common saying: I use non-customers as a practice ground for dazzling and baffling.

Quote Originally Posted by fxb80 View Post
    It comes with the territory, being a professional. You think those same people don't say "So you're an accountant? Can I ask you a question?"

"I don't do residential work." is my out.

But I do give advice when there's time. I don't think it's taking bread from your table by suggesting to a homeowner that he change the air filter. If it's anything technical, which is most things, I don't see the harm in a thorough yet non-specific description of the mechanical processes involved and the possible pitfalls of attempting repairs without training, proper tools, and experience. Most people don't really understand a word of it; air conditioning is magic; they might as well be asking the local shaman if the corn crop will be good this year. Anything I can say to an unskilled equipment owner to perpetuate the magic is a good thing.

Thinking of the common saying: I use non-customers as a practice ground for dazzling and baffling.
    I like your thinking, use it as an opportunity: Sounds to me like that TXV sub-cooling is unbalaced causing erratic compressor volume displacement issues, thereby causing helix rod to stay in the default position..I like it !

Quote Originally Posted by coolperfect View Post
    The scams I get over the phone and internet are 10 times worse,all day long!
    Really ? Like what ? Not that I doubt you, I just dont get the calls that come in, the office people handle it...

The one I hate is when I go in Home depot or Lowes in my work uniform. mind you that it looks nothing like the ones at ether of these stores. "Do you know where _____is?" or " how much is this? " It happens every time i go in there. Now I think up the most smart a$$ thing I can and tell them that in response. I told one lady "I don't speak English." not sure if she fell for it on not. She did however leave me alone.
    Air conditioning to all and to all a good night

[QUOTE=coolerguy;12149241]Really ? Like what ? Not that I doubt you, I just dont get the calls that come in, the office people handle it...[/QUOTE Investment opportunities,offers to sell my business,Donations just to name a few,and they ask for me by name!

It all depends on what she looks like.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

[QUOTE=coolperfect;12149821]
    Quote Originally Posted by coolerguy View Post
    Really ? Like what ? Not that I doubt you, I just dont get the calls that come in, the office people handle it...[/QUOTE Investment opportunities,offers to sell my business,Donations just to name a few,and they ask for me by name!
    Used to get those also... played a cool game on one of them:

Guy kept calling me trying to get me to invest with him (broker). Finally... I decided how to deal with him:

Got the guy to talk to me for almost an hour about investment strategy and market opinion... had him really going. He asked me 'when' I was going to invest. I said I was not...

He kinda waited for a minute and asked why? I told him:

I had no intention to ever give you a penny... I just wanted you to understand "FIRST HAND" what it feels like to have someone waste your time on the phone.

Guy literally called me a @*$&%#*$&%...

I asked him why I would want to give my $$$ to someone that just insulted me...

He hung up... and NEVER called me again.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

never had a neighbor ask me for anything, yet.

get the Home Depot or Lowes "where is this" question and I politely tell them to the best of my ability if I can, usually know more then those guys. If not just let them read the name on the shirt. Can't insult them as it would lead to a call for my rudeness or boycott of the company.

I do get the parking lot questions and say " "The co I work for has strict policies about moonlighting work; I am sorry. Give the number on the truck a call, I am sure they can schedule you in." " this line more or less.

I posted one incident, sitting in McD's for lunch and had a local hack ask me " ...ever use that yellow flexible gas pipe stuff?"

I said you mean CSST or Trac-Pipe?

He said, maybe.

Long story short, they had been fighting a leak for 3 days on a WH change out, and they had the gas off to the whole house this whole time as well, all because they did not strip the yellow sleeve back before putting on the nut.

I just laughed at them and felt sorry for the homeowner.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast