Thread: Nest thermostat

Nest thermostat

I heard that you can't control variable speed furnace with the nest thermostat. Furthermore, it is not comparable with certain Train systems (e.g. XV95). Can someone please confirm??

Made this its own thread. you are not permitted to post in other peoples threads in the AOP forums. please read our site rules, thank you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Nest customer support is ppretty good, ask them.

I don't see why it wouldn't control a variable speed furnace, but I don't install Trane 95ers.

Quote Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
    I heard that you can't control variable speed furnace with the nest thermostat.
    The nest can't run anything, because it sucks.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

The Nest's power robbing feature does cause issues on select variable speed systems. By issues, I mean condenser/blower operating sporadically causing frozen coils.

There are much better stats on the market than the Nest. Give us a list of the features you want/need and we will give you a list of good thermostats.

For a stat, I like to have the ability to:

1. Ability to sense outdoor humidity (wireless outdoor sensor) and relate the information to my stat and adjust the humidifier accordingly. I have the basic General Aire Model 81 Drum humidifier and I am looking to upgrade that too (but that's another story).
    2. Ability to operate the air conditioner / fan based on humidity of house (in addition to temperature).
    3. It would be nice if it has Wifi capability, but that's not a must.
    4. Ability to control humidifier, and any future accessories (UV light, furnace filter,...etc) I decide to add in.

Perhaps I am asking for too much. I sort of have my eyes set on Honeywell Prestige 2.0, 7 day programmable, and the IAQ 2.0 thermostat. (Yes, I have a strange interest in color LCD displays). The Honeywell Vision Pro IAQ is on my list too, but I don't really like the green color.

Quote Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
    For a stat, I like to have the ability to:

1. Ability to sense outdoor humidity (wireless outdoor sensor) and relate the information to my stat and adjust the humidifier accordingly. I have the basic General Aire Model 81 Drum humidifier and I am looking to upgrade that too (but that's another story).
    2. Ability to operate the air conditioner / fan based on humidity of house (in addition to temperature).
    3. It would be nice if it has Wifi capability, but that's not a must.
    4. Ability to control humidifier, and any future accessories (UV light, furnace filter,...etc) I decide to add in.

Perhaps I am asking for too much. I sort of have my eyes set on Honeywell Prestige 2.0, 7 day programmable, and the IAQ 2.0 thermostat. (Yes, I have a strange interest in color LCD displays). The Honeywell Vision Pro IAQ is on my list too, but I don't really like the green color.
    Prestige 2.0

1. Outdoor humidity isn't something I'd be too concerned with for your humidifier. Indoor only. But the outdoor sensor on the prestige does show outdoor temp, and can help prevent window frosting.

2. (check mark)

3. (check mark)

4. (check mark)

Now, do you want a thermostat that has a 1 year warranty, or a 5 year warranty?

Do you want a thermostat created by a recent start-up in the industry, or do you want one made by a industry legend in thermostats?

Do you want a thermostat with a small support base, or one with a nationwide support base?

Do you want a thermostat with a high failure rate, or one with a low failure rate?

Guess which brand I love :-P
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    Prestige 2.0

1. Outdoor humidity isn't something I'd be too concerned with for your humidifier. Indoor only. But the outdoor sensor on the prestige does show outdoor temp, and can help prevent window frosting.

2. (check mark)

3. (check mark)

4. (check mark)

Now, do you want a thermostat that has a 1 year warranty, or a 5 year warranty?

Do you want a thermostat created by a recent start-up in the industry, or do you want one made by a industry legend in thermostats?

Do you want a thermostat with a small support base, or one with a nationwide support base?

Do you want a thermostat with a high failure rate, or one with a low failure rate?

Guess which brand I love :-P

For some reason, marketing I guess, Nest is popular despite it's inability to be used with the new variable equipment.

I have come across 2, and replaced them both once the shortfalls were exposed.

They have their place, but it is mostly on older equipment.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

I am actually not very found of them. I just think it is another "Apple" product that is poorly designed. Apple products (ipod in particular since the designer of Nest used to make ipods for apple) puts more emphasis on the UI than the actual "Meat" of the products. After loosing count of how many times my 3rd gen / 4th gen ipod locked up during use, I have made up my mind to avoid Nest.

Anyway, the pros are correct. I really like the Honeywell Prestige thermostats.

BTW, is it a thermostat that an average Joe can install, or should I leave it to the pros?

The Honeywell outdoor wireless temp sensor also measures the outdoor humidity.

I suggest leaving it to a pro, especially a high end stat. There are many possibilities of letting smoke out of various components