Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What wire size, and heat strip size should be used.

Post Likes

Frown

also if you purchased the equipment online, then there's no warranty. Even Goodman is finally starting to enforce this.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mfreestyle_2000 View Post
    Sorry about posting a price. The contractor mentioned if I could find the equipment online for cheaper than his price he would install it. The heat pump came as a package I think they sent some of the wrong equipment. I would never do it this way again. I would leave it up to the contractor 100 percent. All the stress of hoping eveyrthing ends up installed ok isn't worth it.

It sounded like a good idea at the time. Simple to purchase the equipment and have it installed by a pro. I guess he knocked the install price way down since he doesn't have to do any running around. Thats why I am trying to make sure I get all the correct supplies. I'm sure he won't install it with the wrong things. I'm still confused about the wire size of the exterior unit. Is that the same as the wire size of the interior?

Thanks everyone for all the answers.
    NOT TO MENTION NO WARRANTY FROM THE FACTORY FOR ONLINE PURCHASES...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes

wire size exterior unit

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    You need to drop back 10, and punt.
    Isn't there just a power wire from the electrical box to the box that mounts on the side of your house. Then out of the box on the side of your house an electrical whip goes into the exterior unit? I'm still confused what size of wire to use to the exterior unit. I think I will bring the units information to the electrical store and they will give me the correct supplies. Is it a 10-3 wire? Thats what the electrical whip states. I'm sure if it's not connected correctly the electrical inspector will not pass the permit.

Post Likes
    Isn't there just a power wire from the electrical box to the box that mounts on the side of your house. Then out of the box on the side of your house an electrical whip goes into the exterior unit? I'm still confused what size of wire to use to the exterior unit. I think I will bring the units information to the electrical store and they will give me the correct supplies. Is it a 10-3 wire? Thats what the electrical whip states. I'm sure if it's not connected correctly the electrical inspector will not pass the permit.
    I'm saying you need to completely start over with the entire process.

Chalk what you've got up as a loss, and start over.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes

install saturday

I'll let you know how it goes. I think it everything is going to be great. I purchased the 10 kw heat strip. Took the specs of the wiring to an electrical store and they gave me what I need. I'm sure if the installer has to get more things i'll be paying the time for him to get it. I don't see how it can go wrong.

Post Likes
    I'll let you know how it goes. I think it everything is going to be great. I purchased the 10 kw heat strip. Took the specs of the wiring to an electrical store and they gave me what I need. I'm sure if the installer has to get more things i'll be paying the time for him to get it. I don't see how it can go wrong.
    I really hope it all turns out well ,however I see all kind of things that can go wrong

Post Likes
    I don't see how it can go wrong.
    Famous last words...

Take lots of before and after pictures. The wall of shame has been slow...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnery Sergeant Hartman View Post
    Famous last words...

Take lots of before and after pictures. The wall of shame has been slow...

This quality of the install determines the performance and LONGEVITY of the system.......What saves the "cheap" installer from their lack of knowledge and shortcuts taken might not show up for a couple of years and he is long gone and paid.

So possibly for the next couple of years you will pat yourself on the back for the $$ you saved......However, in your case, the 10 year goodman warranty will not apply to you, so when the compressor kills itself or reversing valve or coil leak...the list goes on....you will pay many times over.

It is so difficult sometimes to get thru to people that they are NOT buying an appliance, but a SYSTEM that NEEDS to be integrated into your home!!!
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    At the time of purchase I was told it had the warranty. I bought it in January of 2008. The house remodel has been a long process. The guy said he has installed them for 15 years. The problem with being a home owner is how do you know the person is doing everything correct and not cutting corners? I know a lot of times people cut corners since the home owner has no idea what is correct. I just hope the inspector catches anything that could comprimise the systems life. Any advice on what I should watch for when the install is done?

Post Likes
    At the time of purchase I was told it had the warranty. I bought it in January of 2008. The house remodel has been a long process. The guy said he has installed them for 15 years. The problem with being a home owner is how do you know the person is doing everything correct and not cutting corners? I know a lot of times people cut corners since the home owner has no idea what is correct. I just hope the inspector catches anything that could comprimise the systems life. Any advice on what I should watch for when the install is done?

What inspector????? Mechanical inspector? They just look for condensate lines and code compliance-they could care less about performance, they are NOT A QUALITY CONTROL STEP!

How does an inspector know the system was purged with nitrogen? How does he know the vacuum was pulled to less then 500 microns? how does he know the duct is sized to deliver the cfm's required???? THEY DON'T!!!

I absolutely love it when 2 guys go into business with 10 years of experience each and list on their marketing "20 years of experience"
    How do I know your current contractor is cuttin' corners?.......Do you have a manual j and d analysis???? He didn't supply the correct equipment and let you know what the electric heat KW based upon either 1. covering the emergency heat load or 2. covering the auxilary heat requirement.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    I mellow a hack
    PA#9377
    Your Satisfaction...Our Goal.

Post Likes
    ksefan, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Post Likes
    grizzzlle, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in