Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How in the blazes do you work this thing? (thermostat)

I was wondering if anyone had the time to tell me how this thermostat is supposed to work, it is where I work and every time I come in it is different.

Sometimes the red tab is all the way down or back and some time it is pushed right up to the blue one and some times it is set like the pic.

All I want to know is what is the optimal way to place the tabs.

Because right now it is always cold as heck or too hot.

Right now it is set for heat to come on at 65F and Cooling to come on at 74F. It works By moving the red or blue levers....
    Jason J Saylor
    Pinellas County Schools
    HVAC Tech/Part Time HVAC Instructor Fortis College
    Pinellas County Florida

"You will encounter many distractions and many temptations to put your goals aside: The security of a job, a wife who wants kids, Whatever. But if you hang in there, always following your vision, I have no doubt you will succeed.
    Larry Flynt quote

So they really shouldn't be pushed all the way together is what I am thinking, and the way they are set now is correct?

you prob can only push them so close together. so that the unit wont be going from heat/cool On and off over and over again...the way you have it set now is fine...but if there is lot of people in office...just remember not everyone will be happy all the time with the temp...
    Jason J Saylor
    Pinellas County Schools
    Pinellas County Florida

"You will encounter many distractions and many temptations to put your goals aside: The security of a job, a wife who wants kids, Whatever. But if you hang in there, always following your vision, I have no doubt you will succeed.
    Larry Flynt quote

Quote Originally Posted by saylor240 View Post
    ...just remember not everyone will be happy all the time with the temp...
    Ain't that the truth, every night I come in I swear we could hang meat in here so when I make an adjustment it seems to get way too warm for a while before it get comfortable.

(BTW the pic is from my iPhone 4s, I think it takes a pretty good pic!)

My questions are answered unless somebody has a way to keep every body from changing MY settings! j/k

Thanks!

Its a great pic....one thing you might want to try... is order a Locking thermostat cover. it screws on pretty easy just get a large enough one to someone can't change the temp by slidig a pencil or paperclip in, and then lock it and give the boss the key.Explian to whoever is in charge, spending $ on theremostat locking cover will save $$$ all year long!!!
    Jason J Saylor
    Pinellas County Schools
    Pinellas County Florida

Larry Flynt quote

Quote Originally Posted by saylor240 View Post
    Its a great pic....one thing you might want to try... is order a Locking thermostat cover. it screws on pretty easy just get a large enough one to someone can't change the temp by slidig a pencil or paperclip in, and then lock it and give the boss the key.Explian to whoever is in charge, spending $ on theremostat locking cover will save $$$ all year long!!!
    I guess that is one good thing about working in a power plant, you don't have to worry about the electric bill!

They used to have the lock boxes but the supervisors took them off because one was always cold and one was always hot, now it is a free for all.

I guess if this is the only thing I can find to complain about things ain't that bad!

Quote Originally Posted by kccustom View Post
    I guess that is one good thing about working in a power plant, you don't have to worry about the electric bill!
    Not really. Its' still an operating cost and part of your overhead, even if you don't bother metering it. Evner KW consumed by hte plant facility has a negative impact on yoru delivered efficiency.

That being said, more concerning should be potetnial damage to the equipment. For overconditioning and short cycling.

Sadly I'd say at least 50% of the public beleives that on a regular thermostat, if you set the unit colder or hotter it will cool off or heat up faster somehow.

I remember the same battle wit ha roomate in college. We had steam heat that was centrally controlled based on ground or an otudoor reset control, not locally (they also made their own power so it was Lo Press waste steam). SO you'd crack a window to cool the room off a little. You predict what happens. IF gets too cold so the roomate shuts it all teh way. Then its' too haot so he opens it all the way. I couldn't convince him ot just modulate it and move it a little at a time. Apparently his brain could handle that concept. I think he ended up majoring ad finally graduating in 5-1/2 years in sports marketing or some lame degree thats usually just for football and basketball players.

I'd do the "green thing" and move to the 21st century. Talk to the high up mucky mucks and explain the facts , then upgrade to a smart digital stat. Save us all some $ and maybe save the planet a tad. Most high end stats will allow for a whole range of features and adjustments, plus selective security lock outs and what not. Your stats from early 1998, not quite Orwell, but close
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

I wonder how Robert, Sandra and Delores in Abuquerque, NM are doing? Who think they have been outsourced?

20VDC? What's it controlling? I'd guess you could put any battery operated stat on there in it's place?

Hopefully controlling a 973 panel.

Can't replace that with just any thermostat. Its hooked to a controller that needs a varying DC signal to work right. It responds with X amount of heat based on how much voltage that sensor/stat is sending back to the controller.

Setting it from 65 to 70 will cause it to over shoot set point. Increases should be done in 1 or 2 degree increases, if you don't want any over shoot after a temp adjustment.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I wonder how Robert, Sandra and Delores in Abuquerque, NM are doing? Who think they have been outsourced?
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast