efficiency comparisons 14 vs 16 SEER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I explained SEER to a guy I'm quoting a job for and he asked me to give him some information about what to expect in the area of energy savings for 14 vs 16 SEER. Do you guys have any good links with information that might talk about this?

I think he wants to find out if going to 16 SEER is worth the extra $.

Where are you? What's your heat gain? What's your cost per kwh?

Central Virginia

Cooling load approx 40,000 Btu/hr
    Heating Load approx 55,000 Btu/hr

$.10 per kwhr

Based on 1000 hour cooling load from the ARI book, 10 cents per kwh and 3.5 ton A/C, right now it says the 16 will save $45 a year over the 14. Check the ratings carefully. Just because it says 14 or 16 in the model # doesn't mean every unit & coil match gives that. Pretty typical to get less than you expect.

http://www.aridirectory.org

14 vs 16

most 16 should have a 2 stage compressor which will help lower bill running on low stage also taking out more humidity

im n cental va & have extensive experience with 16 seer, it will save boatloads of money on our area, most customers are reporting 50% + savings over there old 10 seer systems, its all about proper Planning & installation... what brand are you quoting ?

His wife works at a company that distributes Westinghouse and Gibson. I don't know if Gibson carries a 16 SEER but Westinghouse does. Most likely Westinghouse. This will be tricky trying to quote him because she knows the wholesale prices.

How much additional savings would you say he'd get going to a 16 vs a 14 around here?

16 SEER vs 14 SEER

Originally posted by duckhunter
    I explained SEER to a guy I'm quoting a job for and he asked me to give him some information about what to expect in the area of energy savings for 14 vs 16 SEER. Do you guys have any good links with information that might talk about this?

I think he wants to find out if going to 16 SEER is worth the extra $.
    A 16 SEER unit will operate with 13% less energy consumed for the season than a 14 SEER unit. This may sound dismal, but the comparison is between 2 very efficient ratings. A very dramatic comparison is 18 SEER vs 10 SEER, which yields a difference of 44% less energy for the season.

I would take SEER ratings with a huge grain of salt; there's no point of installing a more efficient unit if the t-stat has to be set lower to be comfortable. Latent capacity is just as important as sensible.

I disagree

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    I would take SEER ratings with a huge grain of salt; there's no point of installing a more efficient unit if the t-stat has to be set lower to be comfortable. Latent capacity is just as important as sensible.

I would think that if you want to keep your house cooler, a 16 SEER unit would be more economical than a 14 SEER unit.

With upgrading his AC, have you or has the HO thought about improving the house itself, air sealing, insulation improvements, the basic in these areas can yield more savings then most any upgraded AC can annually and the cost is IMO substantially less then the cost of upgrading AC. Ask the homeowners if they have thought about it, if not you should at minimum suggest to the ho's of improving the envelope first. As you know by doing this can lessen the load resulting in HO buying a smaller unit costing less to operate annually.

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    You don't mention the air handler, but would the discussion change if this was a DFHP and the difference between 14 and 16 SEER? Going to DFHP would seem to extend the use of a more efficient HP into the heating season and lower operating costs.

In the manual J book. You will find the formula for calculating energy savings using the bin data for your area.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast