It was a science experiment
Let's see, we are gonna stick too many people inside of a large round container, leave them in there too long, and create some atmospheric distubance outside the container to frighten them and then see the results.
1. After awhile basic human behavior will happen.
2. Health conditions will deteriorate when the plumbing breaks down and waste piles up.
3. The longer the period of idleness the more agitated the subjects become.
4. Once removed from the experiment subjects will first remember the bad experiences and will tend to foucs primarily on those.
5. The same results happen with any race of people.
6. The subjects are very hesistant to repeat the experiment and more willing to evacuate prior to disasters.
I've said it before, if a dirty bomb explodes in a major city and radiation fallout is immense, we are in a world of **** if NO is an example. I hope those in charge are taking notes about the problems generated by hurricanes and their aftermath cause there may be a lot of similarities.