I'm sorta in the same boat as you Taylor
These guys gave this advice:
1) Keep up your maintenace on the A/C (yearly tuneups, filter change, condenser clean, yada yada)
2) Start getting ready for the change over by learning as much as possible about units, installer,etc
3) Let it ride until your unit begins to nickle and dime you to death and then get that old one out
4) Remember, its all about the installation (as I have learned) and not the brand of unit.
5) Bookmark this page and read and learn.