The chemicals won't hurt you but....
I am not trying to be an alarmist, but you seemed to have gotten advice that it is safe to breath vapors from this or any Cooling Tower. This assumption couldn't be any further from the truth.
Originally Posted by hockeychick
Vapors from Cooling Towers can be very dangerous to one's health if the tower is not kept clean and the water not periodically tested and treated with chemicals and biocides to kill Legionaire's and other nasty nasty stuff that can grow there.
We cannot possibly tell from here what the condition of that tower is in or what the chemical program to treat the water consists of.
If you are concerned then you should check with the School District's Enviromental Health Department.