11-05-2004, 12:38 AM
I get these once in a while. And no, it's not a gay site.
11-05-2004, 07:33 AM
Wow. Just when you think it's over WHAM!
11-05-2004, 09:19 AM
When you see something like that and the guy survives. Then you go back and look at Earnhardts crash and think. How? Then you realize that it was his time.
11-05-2004, 08:10 PM
I was watching it, saw the 1st wreck, kinda thought big whoop, nothing major. Then WOW! yeah that's one of the worst wrecks I've seen for sure.
I copied this from the comments of that page, here it is.
"A racing car driver whose career ended with a sickening crash five years ago Wednesday was awarded 90 million yen compensation after the Tokyo District Court ruled race organizers were to blame for his crippling accident. http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/image/200...m000021000c.jpg Mainichi Shimbun "I still love car racing," Ota said after the ruling. Tetsuya Ota fell well short of getting the 300 million he had been asking from the five organizers and the marshal of the 1998 race where he suffered severe burns that ruined his driving career, but received the vindication he had been looking for. "The crash was caused when the flag car suddenly slowed down," Presiding Judge Tsuyoshi Ono said. "Firefighting and rescue preparations were also not up to scratch." Ota was delighted with the court win. "I would like to thank everybody who has supported me along the way," the 43-year-old once referred to as Japans best Ferrari handler said in the wake of the ruling. Those ordered to pay Ota include Fuji Speedway in Shizuoka Prefecture, where the horrifying crash occurred, and TV Tokyo, which broadcast the race. None of the defendants have stated whether they will appeal against the ruling, including TV Tokyo, which spent the entirety of the court battle arguing that it could not be regarded as one of the race organizers. Court records said Otas terrifying crash occurred during a warm-up lap before the official start of the race in May 1998. Otas car burst into flames after slamming into another vehicle that had already stopped because of a different accident. Ota was stuck in the fireball for almost 90 seconds before rescuers finally dragged him out. He sustained burns across his body and is still unable to move his right arm, right shoulder and fingers properly. Judges ruled the flag car should have been traveling at about 60 kilometers per hour instead of the 150 kilometers it was doing, and caused the accident by slowing too quickly. Ota was forced to unexpectedly drop his pace and, as a result, he lost control and smash into the stationary vehicle. They also decided that Ota was left in his flaming vehicle for too long and organizers had neglected their responsibility to get him out of the burning car within 30 seconds of the blaze erupting. A pre-race agreement between Ota and the organizers not to pursue legal action in the event of an accident was also dismissed as unacceptable. "A letter that tries to eliminate one party from taking any responsibility for major accidents caused by gross negligence is incorrect, unfair and not void in this court," presiding judge Ono said. TV Tokyos attempt to avoid being regarded as one of the race organizers was dismissed by the court, which ruled it was involved in sufficient decisions made about the race to be viewed as one of the organizations directly concerned with running it. Ota made his debut in 1982, racing in the Formula 3000 series before switching to GT car races in which he competed in four straight Le Mans 24-hour races. (Mainichi Shimbun, Japan, Oct. 29, 2003)"
Submitted by: kaon on 11/4/2004
I don't know that he should have sued for that much, I can see medical expenses though. Racing is about risking stuff like that. Sure it shouldn't have happened, but sheesh, sueing for a crash on a race track? Starting to get a bit much.
11-05-2004, 08:19 PM
All I can say is....................................WOW.
Racing is a risky profession for sure.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.