View Full Version : NAE Bacnet Device ID
03-21-2007, 10:22 AM
How do I find out what the Bacnet device ID for a NAE is?
03-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Bring the NAE into the right pane, check the focus tab..make sure 'advanced' is selected on the top right (as opposed to basic). Scroll to the bottom and you'll see it. The BacNet ID is 500 by default..
03-21-2007, 01:04 PM
I see 500 as the Object identifier, but I thought this was different than the actual Bacnet device ID through which third-party Bacnet devices identify the NAE.
03-21-2007, 09:31 PM
I am using NAE's on a third party system, and poochz is correct. There are a couple of things you might need to do; answer yes to BACNET, and change from unicode to "ascii". Once you see the device via 3rd party system, scan it and save, some systems create a microsoft .mdb file. This .mdb file will have all of the BACNET ID's for the points.
03-22-2007, 08:21 AM
Can I ask what third-party system you are seeing the NAE with?
03-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Aha! I just had to set up a Data Broadcast, and now it's working great. Thanks! :D
03-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Just out of curiousity, what are you bringing the bacnet objects into? You have a system other than a Site Director monitoring it, or are you using it to map to a bacnet system?
03-22-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm bringing the NAE into a Summit system over ethernet/ip.
03-22-2007, 07:59 PM
ab8349 Can I ask what third-party system you are seeing the NAE with?
I am using an Alerton Envision System with their Web BACTALK Server. Along with 2 Alerton BCM's, I also have 5 NAE's, 1 NIE and 5 Tracer BCU's on the same BACnet/IP network. I am using a router between the NIE and NCM's. It's been working for a year now. The tedious part was the Trane BCU's. When Trane setup their system they used a new Site and DEVICE ID "1" on every BCU, so you have to rebuild the database in order to change the Device ID.
03-22-2007, 10:45 PM
When Trane setup their system they used a new Site and DEVICE ID "1" on every BCU, so you have to rebuild the database in order to change the Device ID.
Were the BCUs configured at different times or on different network segments that were not connected at that time? Did the Trane techs understand the BCUs were going to connect to other Bacnet devices as one network? This could eplain why they were set up this way.
Summit workstation software can handle multiple Bacnet networks (called sites in Summit) while Alerton can not, as I understand it.
03-23-2007, 08:19 PM
FYI, Trane did setup each BCU as a separate site. The tech's might not understand their own system and/or BACnet/IP.
The first 2 were dial up and can explain the Device ID's as being "1", but the last 3 were recent, BACnet/IP's and unique Device ID's were written in the Spec.. In addition Trane did not agree to change their database. As I see it, not being able to change the Device ID is a big problem and headache for existing system that want to use BACnet/IP. Johnson, Alerton, and Siemens do not have this problem.
03-23-2007, 11:48 PM
Sounds like a clear case of lack of proper communicaton between two groups.
I agree not being able to change the BCU Bacnet device address number is annoying but not impossible to get around. The database is an Access database afterall.
If Trane ignored the spec then you are correct they should correct the issue. As far as the two created for dial-up, that should be an extra charge to re-create the objects in your new big site database.
03-24-2007, 07:30 AM
In some cases you can use different UDPs to connect to the BCUs with the same address
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.