View Full Version : Mold in Finished Basement
03-02-2012, 07:43 AM
My girlfriend an i are looking at a house to buy, many choices, came across one that was a foreclosure and needed a little work then went downstairs and imediately noticed a moldy musty smell...went downstairs and with the electric being off and being cold and damp down in the finished basement noticed many spots of mold on the outside of the drywall in various places. I am wondering if this is because of the damp, no elecric so no heat in the house or there could be leaky walls but do not see any signs of it and if this is a mold that can be taken care of personally or do i need a mold company to? Pictures attached...Thanks
03-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Looks to be mildew to me but only one way for shure to know is hire a mold remedation compay, ive heard of some test kits aval. at you home suppy stores hope that helps . good news it doesnt appear to be the harmfull type of mold. You shuld consider a whole house dehumidifier
03-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the input....it doesn't appear on all the walls but in a few areas as you can see and it is very damp and cold down there....
03-02-2012, 10:03 AM
being that the house sat for a bit without power, could be the main reason and most likely is. But you need to start from the outside and work your way in. Looking at the construction of the house, foundations, roof, footing drains, is the basement below grade. Hows the draining around the house when it rains. hows the roof, gutters. any signs of cracks in foundation. Get as many eyes on the house as you can to inspect all those aspects. Having a wet or damp basement will haunt you for ever and could run into big dollars or create health issues.
03-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the replies...it is a nice house that needs a little TLC and the price is very right but with this problem am I getting myself into a situation that can run me into a lot of money or with a little heat and dehumidifing and cleaning go back to normal on my part....the mold/mildew is brown and furry...if anyone knows a good mold crew in the Poconos let means know so I can get this tested...wanting this house.....thanks
1st there is no such thing as mold that is not dangerus. Every person is different what might affect me may not affect you and vise vers. Saying that the mold just looks like surface mold. So a simple wipe down should be fine. I'd place air srubbers down there for a week or two and do a real good cleaning of the basement.
03-02-2012, 09:35 PM
With a proven mold problem, get a good dehumidifier like the Santa Fe or whole house Ultra-Aire dehumidifier. Consider a fresh air inlet with connections to the a/c ducts for whole house control and circulation.
Keeping the moisture <50%RH will keep the mold dormant. 24 hours of +70%RH could active the dormant mold.
Washing with soap and water and thorough vacuuming with the exhaust from the vac outdoors is suggested. Merv 11 air filters on the a/c-dehumidifier is minimal. Keep us posted. Where is the home located? Drainage and sump pump?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.